1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Broad Beans - a few questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by TheMadHedger, Jan 26, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I've never grown Broad Beans before but thought that I might give them a go this year. Looks like now is a good time to start them off indoors then put them outside (but not plant outside for a month or two) - I don't have a cold frame so they are going to have to take their chances with the wind, rain and and cold (although I understand that some varieties are fairly frost tolerant so I would only bring them inside if a hard frost is forecast).

I'm wondering which varieties to go for - the main issues that I have in my high, exposed location are wind (gales), rain (and general dampness) plus it's rather cool until May. Oh yes, and the soil is pretty heavy and clay-like.

The wind in particular concerns me as I don't want the plants to be blown over. I have a good sunny location to plant them in but that is also subject to any strong southerly winds.

Any ideas please?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,060
    They are very hardy so once you have hardened off the seedlings they can go outdoors straight away in their final position and will shrug off hard frosts. I'm on a fairly exposed hillside and put a wind break around mine and plant them close together so they support each other. One or two may flop over but they still crop OK. On my allotment I notice other folk put in a couple of stakes at the ends of each row with string inbetween to hold them up. I don't grow on the allotment as all the plots are plagued by Blackfly, mine do better at home on the hillside, so a bit of wind is good :dbgrtmb:

I grow Aquadulce Claudia which is very tough but I think you can get smaller varieties.

3. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Interesting info @JWK. Spot on about them attracting Blackfly, mine got a bit of it despite nipping out the tops but I didn't know that wind is a bit of a help with these pests. I don't get blackfly here normally except for 1 yup only 1 shrub/tree (Euonymus red cascade) I have no idea how many shrubs trees herbaceous I have, a huge number in other words but nothing else gets bothered until growing Broad Beans. "The jury is out " on them so perhaps I won't bother to grow them again as there are other veg we prefer.
    Do you spray for blackfly and if so with what? My supply of no doubt now banned insecticides/pesticides were finished last season. The last bottle was Murphy's Tumblebug which i don't think you can get anymore. Use so little I think it was about 1990 I bought the last bottle. I only now spray anything needing it in the greenhouse and leave nature to it outside pretty well. I do a bit of squashing (yuk) if a bad infestation.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for the help and advice JWK, I'll look into the variety that you mentioned.

And especially noted re the blackfly. :)

As I plan to germinate them indoors (I'll pop them in the airing cupboard) I guess I'll then need to put them straight outside (still in their seed trays/pots). I'll no doubt bring them back in if a hard frost is forecast. In fact, I may bring them inside every night to avoid mice getting at them!

Are they particularly deep rooted plants? I ask as I have loads of toilet and kitchen rolls which I'm using for my sweet peas but I can of course spare some for a few broad bean plants.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,060
    You need to bring them back indoors for 7 to 10 days to gradually harden them off. After that they should be ready to plant.

They are not deep rooted - I just start mine in a shallow seed tray, I should think toilet roll inners would be good.

Getting an early crop is the main way of avoiding blackfly on broad beans.

I don't like spraying chemicals, particularly on Beans as they need insect pollinators. When my Runners suffer with blackfly I use a dilute soap solution, it never gets rid of them 100% but holds them in check.

6. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    @TheMadHedger are you growing the broad beans for an allotment or for a garden? because you can sow Aquadulce Claudia now straight into the ground and they will give you an early crop of beans,earlier than spring sown varieties and with luck you won't have the black fly problems that are associated with the spring sown varieties.

Two seasons ago we were late getting our winter ones in and had to rely on spring sown ones.We practically lost the whole lot to black fly despite me sraying three times with a soap spray that I made up.:sad:

In the Autumn of that year I sowed my winter variety I have mentioned and had a fantastic crop over a number of weeks last summer and was able to freeze loads of them which Mr Kandy is working his way through now:snorky: