Broad Beans Rotting-Help!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bunslip, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted some broad beans a few weeks back in pots and left them on the window sill to germinate. After about three weeks nothing happened. When I investigated they had gone to a sticky mess, I assume rotted. Maybe I over watered..I gave them a trickle of water every day...is that too much? Also, should I keep them in the dark until they germinate? - never understood how this works- I thought they needed light...? Im going to try again, any advice?

2. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm no veg grower, but i do sow my broad beans early and in loo rolls, and i just push the bean below the surface of the compost. I only water once a week and they're in my unheated porch. So maybe watering daily and having in heat is just too much. Try growing somewhere cooler or even outside, even in pots and water occasionally. Cover pots with net to avoid rodent etc damage. It's not too early to sow direct, and you could give them a little protection with a cloche or home made polythene tent.

3. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Compostee... so no need for darkness? Im sure Ive seen Alan Titchmarsh covering seeds to block out the light to encourage germination? That has always baffled me!

4. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I put mine straight into my raised beds in Jan, covered with plastic cloches and they are just starting to come through. The type are Express. Did nothing else.
    ttfn

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Bunslip,after the first watering there is no need to water everyday.Only water if the compost dries out completly,then only sparingly untill the beans show.They rotted because you drowned them.You do need to bury them.Read some veg books and they will tell you how deep.We just make a hole with the dibber,pop them in and then cover them with soil...Good Luck

6. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, will try again! and keep you posted...

7. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, Bunslip, were the seeds viable (in other words fresh) in the first place?
    If they were it's probably down to being too wet as Kandyfloss said coupled,maybe,with being too cold - the cooler they're kept the less moisture they need.