broadband router help?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by The Lost Antheus, May 14, 2008.

1. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I have a US robotics 018000 broadband router through which I connect my new PC and my old (ie Michele's) PC to the internet. Unfortunately it is no longer doing that and I can't even access the configuration utility to check settings. I was wondering if any experts had any clues before I bin it?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My eldest is with me for the next couple of hours and he is a pro. However he doesn't have his manuals with him so - Is it wired or wireless? Do you know what its IP address is (that should start 192.168.x.x - the 2 xs being variable, usually 1.0 or 0.1 0r 1.1)

How long has it been doing this? You are clearly connected so is it just one machine that won't connect?

There are another 20 questions but can you clarify these first?

3. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Click on this link ... http://192.168.1.1 ... and if your still at factory default then the username will be admin and the password will be admin as well.

Also, what do you get when you open up a command prompt and type ipconfig? If you're connected to the router then you should get something like ...

IP Address : 192.168.1.x (x being a number between 2 and 254)
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

Johns son is right. There are lots of questions but that should be a start.

Ant.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I've started to feel like a secretary. Andy says that as Ant clearly is familiar with this router and he (Andy) isn't it will be easier if he takes over the diagnostics Too many cooks etc. But if he can help then contact him at [email protected].

5. The Lost Antheus

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies. I am just on my way out now so when I get back I will do the ipconfig.
    utility window is 192.168.123.254 and this hasn't been coming up. At the moment I am plugged direct into the modem with my PC

6. The Lost Antheus

Ratings:
    +5
    O-kay.... Well things seem to have sorted themselves out. I have re-booted the router and I can now get the utility screen and I can get back onto the web. However I am a little suspicious. Spybot keeps flagging up a kernal fault check change to the registry (%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k) it seemed harmless so I allowed it and all sorts of error messages popped up. So I unplugged the pc (which was locked and wouldn't shutdown) and rebooted ran a disc check and then did a spybot restore. So things are back up and running, so far, but I am still getting spybot flagging up the reg change alert. I could set it to create a rule and just stop it automatically but I want to be sure that it I am not blocking something important.

7. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    TLA.

I've just back from a day trip to Derby so haven't been online but it's good to see you've sorted things out.

The SpyBot problem I can't help with as i'm not familiar with it. Good luck though.

Ant.

8. The Lost Antheus

Ratings:
    +5
    Just done a system restore as several suspicious glitches kept popping up. Fingers crossed