Brocolli ,growing for a novice!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bob flemming, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Professional wall and floor tiler.
    Ratings:
    +1
    Evening all Bob here,Sorry about the spelling I'm not very educated spent too much time in the snooker halls rather than school,

Anyway i'm growing brocolli this year for the first time,They seem to be doing well and look good to pick ,Do they grow back when picked or is that the end of the plant?.I would say they are the size of a cauliflower floret at the moment,do i leave them till their football size,Like i say never grown them before and would appreciate some advice off you seasoned experts,:thumb:Thanks Bob.

2. Boveytracey

Boveytracey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It would help if you said what type of Brocolli, there many different types with different rules for all of them.

3. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Professional wall and floor tiler.
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry boveytracey ,like i say i'm a novice all i know is it's green,and growing in the middle of the plants:(

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hello Bob flemming,
    yes your broccoli should produce more shoots once you harvest the first "head" .
    How big does it have to be when taken off ? for that I would just look at those in the supermarket...You have to make a diagonal cut which will allow the rainwater to flow away rather than rotting the middle of the stem left on the plant.