Broken Ankle - tips to make life easier?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Coolsox, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
    Ratings:
    +563
    Hi all. Last weekend I had myself a little accident. My partner and I both do TaeKwonDo and during one of excersises I broke my ankle. I was in hospital for a few days and had to have surgery to fix the ankle, but now I find myself home alone and going insane with boredom.
    All being well, I plan on going back to work in just over a week ( only for a few hours a day as my work is office based) but until then I'm stuck here.

The reason for my posting is, for anyone who has been in a similar position you know that even he simplest tasks become very difficult on crutches and wondered if anyone had found any tips that made life a little simpler to get by day to day. So far, the best tip I found was for making a cup of tea in a travel coffee mug. These hold far more than a mug so I don't need to fill it. I can then put the lid on, wrap it in a carrier bag and hobble into my living room to enjoy it in comfort!

Please feel free to share your tips and if you want to share the details of your injury so I don't feel like such a twonk then go ahead!

One the bright side, since being injured I seem to have amassed quite a collection of Phalaenopsis orchids that people have bought me as a get well gift :-p

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,827
    Never broken an ankle but have ripped apart my back/leg which laid me up in sick bay for a month. I remember the nurses...
    Flasks are even bigger than travel mugs if you drink a lot of tea. I'd get a plain pad and pencil and plan changes to gardens (doesn't have to be yours), doodle, write musings...
    Read a lot, watch films, try not to think of the irony in your username and ankles, research care for orchids...
    Chin up, you'll be back and mended soon as you like and then you can break the other one lol

• Like Like x 3
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Sorry to see you are in the wars. Hopefully things will mend well and you will be back on the road again soon. When recovering from replacement hip surgery I had 1 of those grabber stick things which was very useful for picking stuff up off the floor/out of easy reach. I got really quite adept with it when recovering with my 2nd hip and could even put my socks on with it.
      Can offer absolutely no advice re the Orchids as I am instant death to any I have been given!

• Like Like x 1
      • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,067
        In my younger days I did my ankle too. I was drunk and being young! :doh:
        I ended up using a wheeled office chair to put my leg from the knee down on and sort of scooted around like that. Like kneeling on it with one leg. You do have to be careful with it though.
        It can be so frustrating. I hope you heal quickly.

• Like Like x 1
        • Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
          Ratings:
          +563
          Haha, I hadn't thought about it until now!

The flask idea is awesome. Can't believe I hadn't thought of it sooner.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Best advice I can think off is don't do TaeKwonDo excercises :biggrin:
          Touch wood I have only ever broken a toe , but my friends who have been plastered up say that a back scratcher is invaluable to get down the side of the plaster when you get an itch.
          back-scratcher__58025_zoom.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +51,873
            Ooooh, sorry to hear of your injury Coolsox - I've got no bright ideas to make things any easier I'm afraid, but hope you recover quickly.

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
            Ratings:
            +1,668
            Oh no, sorry to hear that. I did break my ankle but i was far to young to even remember it, so cant give you much advice, other then to have everything you need at hand, remote, water, pain pills, books, magazines.

Hope you heal quickly.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +55,092
            Hi Coolsox and sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Luckily I have never broken anything but in 1986 I was hospitalised for four days and then 'bedridden' for many days, but as we lived in an old cottage in Bucks I moved myself downstairs (for safety sake, bathroom was downstairs) whilst t'other half was at work. He was brilliant and got everything organised for me in the kitchen, including sandwiches for lunch. So, my advice is, have everything to hand that you may need throughout the day.

Hope you get back on your feet soon ... :heehee: :hapfeet:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            :ouch1:.....:grphg:....Sorry to hear of your accident Coolsox.....Get well soon:thumbsup:

• Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
            Ratings:
            +563
            That was the first problem I solved! There is not much room down the side of the cast, but I found the best item is a metal kebab skewer. Sounds dangerous, but I insert the ring shaped handle end and it is perfect for the job.

• Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
            Ratings:
            +563
            Thanks everyone for your get well wishes. It's unfortunate, but I count myself very lucky. Over the last week I've spent a few days in hospital and made repeat visits back for aftercare. I've seen lots of elderly people in a far worse state than me. For me it's just an inconvenience but I cannot imagine how an 80 year old would cope.

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
            Ratings:
            +1,984
            Hope your ankle heals soon @Coolsox!
            I've never broken my ankle but I did tear ligaments in one when I was 15. I kept off it for about 2 weeks then gradually put more weight on it etc. As for tips, I found that anything I could do on my backside was a winner...

• Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
            Ratings:
            +7,491
            Hope you feel better soon. :)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,091
            I broke mine playing rugby. I knew it was serious as I was virtually looking at the studs on my boot when I propped myself up and looked down to see what the pain was all about:gaah:

I became very good at poking a hostess trolley around the house with my knee. Get yourself a good mechanical grab too, as whatever you want is never within reach of where you're sat or laying.