broody girl

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by loopy lou, Apr 28, 2011.

1. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    I have three chooks, one very old ex batt and two young girls, just about a year old

they are all laying and one of the youngsters has gone broody - she doesn't come out of the nest box

what shall i do? she doesn't appear to be eating or drinking - i have put food and water really close to her

anyone got some advice please

Loopy

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi has she any eggs that she is sitting on if so take them off her, close up her nest box,
    If possible close the hen house up during the day and keep her and her friends out side , just to brake the cycle you will be suprised how liittle they do eat or drink when they go broody , some are just more broody my brother had a little bantam that would sit on a stone given the opertunity, its just nature kicking in on her others would love a broody hen when it comes to rearing chicks, you could get her some fertile eggs to sit on , I know people sell them on the intranet

Hi just to add I rang my brother I was ringing him to day anyway , he has agreed with me take any eggs of her and take her out of the nest box, as he had one that didnt eat or drink for nearly 4 days , plus he told me it might make the other broody as well , she will moan a lot when taking her out of the nest but remember you are not letting her hatch any eggs so you are being kind in the long run as with normal eggs they would hatch at 21 days and with yours should would carry on sitting and she will become run down and make herself ill

LET me know how you get on

Spruce

3. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    thanks spruce

I got them up this morning and moved her outside, shutting the coop door so she cant go back in, she grumbled and squeaked a bit but is happily eating away now

many thanks

Loopy

4. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi Loopy, hope she will be ok now.