Brown marks on Borage leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by THFC, Jun 19, 2023.

1. THFC

THFC Gardener

Ratings:
    +81
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could share any advice on what may be causing these brown marks on my borage leaves? And what I should do about them.

I have been removing them, but new marks are continuously appearing.

Looking online, I haven't been able to find any specific diseases relating to Borage, but am wondering whether it is some kind of fungal infection?

I have also noticed similar marks on potted Comfrey plants (a different location in the garden) and what I think are dock leaves.

I am worried as I have tomatoes and squash nearby and don't want it to spread.

The first photo is the Comfrey (which looks slightly different as the marks seem to have a slim line running from them) and the second two photos are from the borage.

If the marks are bad (as expected) - any ideas what I should do? I'd be sad to rip them up as I have them as pollinators - but will obviously do so if necessary.

Many thanks in advance!

IMG_4215.jpg IMG_4214.jpg IMG_4213.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    It's leaf miner, there is an insect tunneling between the two outer layers of the leaf.
    I usually give the leaf a squeeze, it squashes the grub inside.
    If you hold a leaf up to the light you should be able to see the insect.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • THFC

THFC Gardener

Ratings:
      +81
      Hi Pete,

Thank you for the very quick response.

Do you think its the same thing for each one (the Borage and the Comfrey) ?

And do you know if there is anything I can do about it? There seem to be new marks on new leaves daily...

• THFC

THFC Gardener

Ratings:
      +81
      Sorry - I completely missed the bit about squashing it. I'll give it a try!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      Probably the same pest, but they do seem to come in generations, if you know what I mean, so if you can kill the grub you could stop another infestation later in the summer.
      It stops them becoming adults.:biggrin:

• THFC

THFC Gardener

Ratings:
      +81
      I've been squashing the leaves and on most I do get the sensation that I am also squashing something else, so fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,154
        This is fairly widespread on large leaf plants and I expect it is a common species. Currently I have some on chard, beetroot, rhubarb, tomato and have found it on cauliflower also. It is the larvae stage and will disappear in a couple of weeks. It could be sprayed with a systemic insecticide but I choose to live with it by 'manual suppression ' as described.
        www.agrigem.co.uk/agronomist/article/leaf-miners

• THFC

THFC Gardener

Ratings:
        +81
        Cheers infradig.
        I wish i'd posted on here before cutting off half the leaves, but the plants seem to have survived. For now!