1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns question

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Fathead, May 21, 2017.

1. Fathead

Fathead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whilst I have a decent supply of grass clippings and shredded paper.... But my question is about the browns.... not much these days come in plain old brown cardboard boxes unless I order something from Amazon or whilst Im at home base help myself to them feed ones .....are the cardboard that say cat food comes in or is this to heavy printed

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Centre for Alternative Technology did a trial using all sorts of printed cardboard, they couldn't find any trace of the printing inks in the final product, but i'd tend to stick with the plainer stuff like bog roll tubes and egg boxes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Egg boxes are good, not sure about the cat-food ones - wouldn't use these if the cardboard has a glossy finish.

Try finding some discarded boxes next time you go to the supermarket. That's what I do - white as well as brown, so long as they're dull rather than shiny card. The shelf-stackers always say 'yes' if I ask, or some places have a stack of them near the checkouts. Or if you are a regular at a newsagent/ corner shop you could see if they would keep you some - win-win as it saves them paying for a commercial waste collection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1