BRUGMANSIA EMERGENCY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by averil, Jun 17, 2012.

1. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi you good people
    I brought my poor Bertie indoors yesterday cos of the lashing rain and the gales ,(he wasnt looking too good). Ive got up this morning and theres a layer of fluff on his compost. Im assuming this is mildew :cry3: . Ive scraped about an inch off the top layer of compost and ive sprayed with fungicide. Should I repot him in completely new pot and compost or should he be okay. Hes only a youngster, 3 months old and I dont want to lose him. Many thanks for any advice :)

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Averil

What size pot is Bertie in ? , he will be fine I would either topdress with fresh compost or maybe put him in a bigger pot if needed ?. Bigger pot bigger Brugmansia top dressing of gravel as well I think would help, its probaly caused with all the rain we have had .

Spruce

3. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Spruce, thanks for that. Size of pot? well its about 8in accross at the top :snork: ... thats as much as i know. Yep I think I will repot him and see how he gets on. Many thanks. By the way its lovely and sunny today in Wilts. Lets hope it continues :SUNsmile:

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Big as possible with the pot or go the £1.00 shop and buy a green or brown square pot , start feeding once a week with tomato food this will help it to flower , we love a photo on here so when you get the chance

Spruce

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    They are pretty robust averil. And I am told that they are fairly tolerant of being planted out and then dug up before winter. Ie they will tolerate a bit of root disturbance.

I have taken the liberty of copying a post by Alan Hurstwood on another forum - I found it very helpful and informative. Alan said :-

This statement is copied from BGI:-
    Species Info

All Brugmansias come from South America. They inhabit different areas, from the tropic coastal regions to the mountainous regions of the Andes.

Brugmansia arborea (L.) Lagerh. (Andes - Ecuador to northern Chile)
    Brugmansia aurea Lagerh. (Andes - Colombia to Ecuador)
    Brugmansia insignis (Rodr.) Lagerh. (Lower mountain zone of Eastern Peru)
    Brugmansia sanguinea (Ruiz & Pav.) D.Don (Andes - Colombia to Peru and Bolivia)
    Brugmansia suaveolens (Humb. & Bonpl. ex Willd.) Bercht. & J.Presl (Southeast Brazil west to Bolivia and Peru)
    Brugmansia versicolor Lagerh. (Ecuador)
    Brugmansia vulcanicola (A.S.Barclay) R.E.Schult. (Andes - Colombia to Ecuador)

These species are divided into two natural, genetically isolated groups. Brugmansia section Brugmansia includes the species aurea, insignis, sauveolens, and versicolor; and is causually referred to as the warm-growing group. B. section Sphaerocarpium includes the species arborea, sanguinea, and vulcanicola; and is casually referred to as the cold-growing group. All species from one group can be crossed freely to each other species in the same group. The hybrids are fertile and can be crossed with all other species within the group.
    Very simply,
    The warm group grow in the low area's of the valleys of the above locations, low altitude,warmer temps, fertile soil with an abundance of water.
    The cold group grow on the mountain sides at high altitudes, colder conditions,super free draining soil.
    The groups will not (under normal conditions, but maybe in in a lab eventually?) cross pollinate.
    I grow the warm group in a mix of 75%-25% compost to Perlite and water almost daily, I do get lots of blooms but they are later and tend to be smaller plants due to my cooler conditions up here in the North West.
    The cold group (Sphaerocarpiums) are much more suited to my conditions, they are the first to start blooming (as early as March) and will go on blooming the latest (November or until I have to cut back to bring them in) I grow these in 50%-50% Compost to Perlite to give a very free draining growing condition.
    The warm group has been 'tweeked' much more in controlled cultivation but the popularity of the cold group is escalating especially here in Europe (cooler area's) and in the more temperate area's across the pond.Because of this new found favour, people in warmer place's are wanting to try to grow Sphaero's.
    There are obviously other difference's / requirements but simply, warm group=warmer temps,cold group= cooler temps and very free draining compost.Please 'shout' if I have not been specific enough to answer your question Peter
    Bob
    Most of the cold group will wilt in direct/all day sunshine (if we ever get any LOL) try them in the shade of afternoon sun.
    Alan

The reason for doing this is to highlight something that I hadn't realised. That some Brugs, namely the cold group, need very well drained compost. It doesn't matter if you don't know which group your Brug comes from, but I would suggest that you use either a mixture of perlite or sharp sand with your compost to improve drainage.

I use one third sharp sand with all my Brugs, which seems to work. But Alan Hurstwood is suggesting even more for some Brugs.

• Like Like x 3
    • averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
      Ratings:
      +44
      Peter, Thanks for all that info. Bertie is definitely of the warm group and i have just germinated a sanguinea from the cold group. Oh dear Ive been googling a lot about these things but didnt realise there was warm and cold groups :scratch:. Ive repotted him but into a mixture of multi with some john innes mixed in, god knows if that will be okay. I wont disturb him again but I have definitely taken on board the sharp sand mixture you say and the next time i have to pot him up will do as you advise.
      Thanks again Peter and Spruce your help is much appreciated :ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1