Brussel Sprout problems

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by craigb, May 9, 2010.

1. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

First time on this board, so be gentle. I'm looking for some advice on Brussel Sprouts. This is the first year I've tried to grow them.

Basically, I planted a few plants in autumn of last year hoping they would mature by Xmas. Of course they didn't, and have happily sat through the frost and freezing winter.

With the slightly 'warmer' weather (no so warm in Lancashire with an easterly wind blowing !) they have sprung to life and are about two to three feet tall. However, they have leaves all the way down the stem and are producing yellow flowers at the top. They dont look anything like the pictures I've seen of long stalks full of sprouts with a bush of leaves on the top.

Are they likely to produce sprouts or have I just planted them at the wrong time of the year ? Should I pull them up and plant some new seeds now ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Craig

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Craig. They are running to seed, so might as well bin them. I'm not sure, but I reckon it's too late now to start off seed for this year. Your best bet is to try and find some plants and get them in ASAP.

Cheers...freddy.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,156
    I go along with Freddie, although I still think its possible, just, if you planted seed now and got them going underglass.

Plants would perhaps be a better option but risk bringing in club root, and are more restrictive on the varieties available.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    It's my first time with Brussels too and according to the packet, they should be sown in early spring, March or April, in order to harvest in December. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

5. craigb

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Freddy. Its as I thought. Still, I've learned from my mistakes this time.

Craig

6. craigb

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a handfull already going in pots (I planted them a week ago 'just in case' - I knew there was something not right with the mature ones.)

Thanks for your advice anyway.

Craig