buddleia cutting?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LooseLotty, Mar 31, 2007.

1. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how to take a buddleia cutting.
    My Dad wants one but I've never done cuttings before. Does it need rooting powder and special soil?
    Thanks x

2. windygale

windygale Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lotty, I find them easy to propagate, i dont use powders, first cut just under a bud and make your cutting around 6" --8" long, snip the top off just above a bud, then place the cutting into a sandy compost, this can be in pots (keep an eye on moisture - dont allow to dry out) or the ground, this is best & normally done in autumn time, you may find it works now, so give it a try,
    hope this helps
    windygale

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I took some cuttings a couple of weeks ago when I cut back my Budlejas - seem to be ok so far. As windygale says, always worth a go as they root very easily. Good luck [​IMG]

4. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks WG and BT I will defininately give it a go. Doesn't sound too difficult! How long do you think it will take to root?

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    my Budlea self seeds all round the garden, its lovely, but I pull the seedlings up as weeds! Just PM me if you want one, but if your is a special variety, then follow above advice.

6. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know that these were easy to grow fron cuttings. I will have give that a try. Mine also seed all over the garden Waco, to the point of being a nuisance. The couple of times I have tried to transplant Butterfly Bush it didn't work.

7. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Waco,
    My Dad wants this particular one because his Mum had a deep purple one too. By the way love your chucks! Just noticed your reply to the chicken dilemma!

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I transplanted a blue one and the next year it flowered white!

LL I did have a deep purple one but it died (probably drowned) I bought this unknown variety from a car boot as I was so sick of loosing budleas, its a great survivor, so It earns its keep.

9. windygale

windygale Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LL, if you keep watering them, every three/four days you should see new signs of life after a month --6 weeks, new buds or leaves,
    i hope they grow,
    windygale

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I saw a program called City Gardiner on the televison a couple of years ago, in which it was said that the the common bramble and Buddleia were the two most tenacious of all British plants. ie it is virtually impossible to kill them.