Buddleja

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rosie99, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Rosie99

Rosie99 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a buddleja this year which has grown quite well but has damage from the wind. When is the best time to cut it back, spring or autumn? And how far back should i cut it?

2. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Rosie 99 and welcome to G.C. forum!!

Although some folks on this site may come across more technical or whatever with regards how far back you cut a Buddleja, I tend to whack them back as far as can be and lo-and-behold they are always off and growing in the spring.

Now, as you say its had some wind damage so you may wish to cut back a third to a half of the growth right now, thereby taking away the damaged and unsightly growth and reducing the canopy, which will therefore reduce root-rock caused by the wind.
    However, generally speaking, the time to chop Buddleja back would be early spring, which has the effect of protecting the early growth from winter frosts as you have left the outer canopy as a protective layer.

To reiterate, I would tend to cut back half of the plant right now rather than wait for the spring, and then you can cut back a bit more come spring.

Kind regards!
    Roy

3. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice Roy,and welcome to Rosie99 [​IMG]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Hi, Rosie99, and welcome to GC, from a part-time IoW-er! I will be joining you next week ... what kind I weather should I expect on the south side?

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello there Rosie99 and welcome.