Building a lawn???

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Adrian Wigham, May 8, 2015.

1. Adrian Wigham

Adrian Wigham Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

Sorry but I'm a newcomer here and I'm totally in the dark regarding gardening. My house I bought recently has the most waterlogged/mossy garden imaginable so I asked a local firm to assess the situation.
    They said that they could put loads of herringbone drainage etc. in to take the water to the bottom corner but at the end of the day my garden sits roughly 10-12 inches below the footpath at the side and lane at the back so no matter how much drainage was put in it would still back up and flood the garden.
    They recommended building up the garden with gravel (to act as a soakaway) then soil but quoted a price of £10-12k and as a single parent I can't ever think about spending this.
    I'm going to have to do it myself so my kids can have a usable garden, my question is really about how much stone and soil to use. Is there a ratio for how much gravel to top soil? Is there a particular grade of stone to use?

Any help would be most appreciated. Many Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Welcome to GC Adrian. :) If you take a look at the older threads in the 'Lawns' forum you will find they give you help on drainage and lawn issues. If you need any more help it would probably be better to post there.