Bulbs vs plug plants

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by failedcomic, Mar 23, 2014.

1. failedcomic

failedcomic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey,

I'm in the process of planting flowers in my garden, and was just wondering if there's any benefit to buying and planting one compared to the other?

Basically, what's better for what? And which should I buy for my garden?

Cheers!

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Hi

I plant both , and then I get the best of both .

All depends what you want to grow , I have gone begonia crazy this year just for a change .

To be honest no difference on which one is better , but with bulbs, tubers, corms, rhizomes, all may need storing away later in the Autumn as most dont like the frost and wet weather, but with annual plugs they all come out end of the summer and go in the compost bin so less work and storage.

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,626
      It depends a lot on what plants you want to grow.
      a large amount of bedding plants can only be grown anually, so you have to buy plugs or grow yourself from seed.
      There are others, used as bedding plants, which are perrenials with overwintering storage organs as described by Spruce.

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        As Pete and Spruce say above . I plant a few spring bulbs , mainly daffs , crocus and tulips - nothing very earth shattering ! For summer I do like a few trailing begonias , dahlias and cannas from tubers corms or rhizomes ,whatever they are called . The rest are annuals from seed and bought in plugs , probably a 60 / 40 split to annuals .

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1