bumpy lawn question!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by pumpkinsoup, Feb 8, 2006.

1. pumpkinsoup

pumpkinsoup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all we started getting our garden sorted last year,we ripped a path out from the centre,and had a new patio put in,the trouble is where we ripped the path out and a couple of other areas are really uneven,to be hinest we ripped the path up and sprinkled grass seed and hoped 4 the best,the grass grew brilliant but its really uneven there also where the previous owners had taken plants with them,i have 2 small children one whoose just started walking so i really want to get it sorted so we can enjoy this summer,anyone got any advice on wot to do and when,and anyway i can get round it without ripping the lot back up ?
    cheers all amanda

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this can be difficult,,, any grass seed you grow will not match the existing species, if the budget allows you could buy in topsoil [or use your own] to evenout the bumps and then sow more seed in the bare areas, dont buy canada green seed as it is very "green"
    alternatively,,,,,,,,spring tine rake over the whole lawn to remove dead thatch, fill in hollows with seived soil, then overseed the whole area with grass seed ....... broadcast some lawn fertiliser and wait for re growth .......nothing will hurry the process, you ll need to keep the family off the area for a while, esp bare bits

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Grass from seed takes quite a time to make a hard useable lawn, 2 years at least and you need a mix with ryegrass for strength and useability. On the other hand you could go the instant lawn way and that is ready for light traffic very soon but must be kept well watered for the first summer. Like everything preperation is essential.