Burning Man

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Aug 31, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Its that time of year again.

I've always wanted to go to Burning Man, but never got round to saving up and planning it. A mate of mine went a few years ago, and planning is essential, as its sort of in the middle of nowhere. You have to make sure you have enough supplies to last for your entire stay, several days in the Nevada desert.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is a rather choppy live webcam from the event. The climax is early tomorrow morning, which is tonight for the yanks, when the torch the man.

http://www.ustream.tv/burningman

Fear not. They don't burn a real man. Just a wooden/straw one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Is it a Wicker Man!!!!!!:yikes::hate-shocked:

Val

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      I have watched footage of it & it is obviously a powerful weekend but too too many people for me..
      I have been to the Nevada desert on several occasions though over the years as we had to cross it to get to my cuz's place & it is a very harsh terrain.. You certainly do need to take supplies...

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        When my mate went, about 24 hours of the week long festival had him and his female compatriot holed up in the car they'd hired, waiting for a sand storm to settle. He said it was like nothing he'd experienced before. He said it was just like impenetrable dense fog, but sand was find its way into the air vents of the car and coming in. When he took the hire car back at the end, he phoned the bank first and told his credit card company and told them to deny any transactions, handed the keys over and got out of there as quick as he could, before they had chance to see what the sandstorm had done to the paintwork on their shiny new car:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,126
          I have not experienced a bad sand storm like that although we have come across a few.. The worst thing we found were mini twisters.. They were only inches high & would swirl across the road.. They will pick your car/truck up & spin you round.. Believe me, had that fright several times... :hate-shocked:
          I think your mate did the best thing with the hire care.. They will really nail you for vehicle damage out there now.. :huh:

• Like Like x 1