Busy Lizzies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brilliard, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Brilliard

Brilliard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else seen their busy lizzie bedding die off.I have had to strip out a complete bed of about 50 plants which became leggy before losing all their blooms.The same thing is now happening to the ones in our hanging baskets and containers.I bought them all as medium size plug plants and brought them along in my small greenhouse. they were beautiful in June but suddenly died away.At first I thought it was slugs but this is not so.

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Brilliard, exactly the same thing happened to us. I think it might a battering from the rain as everything else planted next to them are doing great (marigolds especially).

3. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    My bussies are doing extremely well :confused:

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Most of my clients have the same problem. Yet the Begonia sempervirens are thriving.

5. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Last year I saved some plants in the same conditions (why they became like that I donĀ“t know, I got them gratis from the nursery, actually the almost payd me to bring them away) by cutting them back close to the ground and bringing them back from the grave with careful repotting, watering and feeding , but they were in pots and could be put out of the ways while recovering, I guess in a border it would be an eyesore. I think it took only a some three weeks or so before they looked alive again, and in a little while more they were blooming again. If you have nothing better to plant in the place, try.

PS I wrote all of the above thinking that busy lizzy is = Impatiens... I hope it is.

6. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep same here my Bizzies are all gone now,mind you I did plant them out at the start of april.

7. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Ivory, yes it is impatiens!

8. Brilliard

Brilliard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I replaced the "lizzies" with 6 boxes (72 plants) of french marigold going cheap at the local garden centre.Following regular feeds they are coming along lovely and have solved the empty bed problem for the rest of this season. This particular bedding area has always been reserved by me for "lizzies", however I will see how my small army of marigolds perform,before deciding on next years tenants.

9. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    i work for a local authority all our buzy lizzies bedding is affected some have rotted and died leaving the beds empty ,botrytis??? ,have sprayed the remainder with rovral fungicide on 12 aug ,will keep you posted on the results

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Buzzy Lizzies come from a warm climate and I think it is just too cold for them. Looking round my garden the plants from hot places are not having a good time, but some of plants from cool moist places such as perennial Geraniums, Eupatorium. Lobelias are loving it.

11. donmaico

donmaico Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  12. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Yes. my bizzzies are well battered. I now have flower stalks with no petals..

13. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I purchased for the 1st time New Guinea bizzy lizzys in a tray from B/Q,
    they took ages to get going but are a picture now and very sturdy the scarlet ones with bronze leaves are particularly striking,didn't think much to the white they didn't like the rain,

14. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the first year that I've been impressed by bizzy lizzies:)
    They are planted in a container in quite a sheletered area and are obviously enjoying it:)