Butchered or done for the longer term benefit?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fat Controller, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    There are quite a few trees around my way that seem to have been butchered to my untrained eye; one of them is a weeping willow which I generally pass four times a day and I must admit that I do like to see a nice weeping willow. Over the winter, it was scalped to the point that it is essentially a sort of Y-shaped trunk with no sign of any sprouting branches or anywhere for foliage.

There are another couple (sycamore, maybe?) nearby that had similar treatment. Further away on my travels, there is one particular tree that has been massacred in my view - literally all that is left is a single trunk standing up out of the ground, not a sinle limb left on it.

Are these trees being forced to die so there is an excuse to remove them? Or is there an actual benefit to doing this to a tree?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,088
      I think local authorities just dont want trees any bigger than medium sized any more.

One, they might just get blown down and cause a compo claim and, two, best not to let them get to a size where they just might get a preservation order and stand in the way of future development.

They replant trees around here but they are mostly insignificant little trees that will not get big, even when replacing flowering cherries they tend to use the smaller ones with wishy washy flowers, upright growth habit and pretty unimpressive.

• Like Like x 2
      • Super Lucyjin

Super Lucyjin dinnae fash yersel

Ratings:
        +353
        That happened a number of years back in a small park/green in Edinburgh, much to my intense frustration. :mad: The fence was lined with beautiful old flowering cherries, and they ripped them ALL up without a trace! :thud: I can't find any "before" shots, but this is what the park looks like now.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          they really should employ landscapers that know what they are doing, at the planning stage as well as when it comes to chopping the tree. The chopping cannot be undone. PS I suppose it is less of a damage when it is only a small tree, but still....

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,088
          Oh, I think they know what they are doing alright, they just dont want large trees anymore, and only ones with upright branches.
          Another thing they dont want, which I guess is fairly understandable, is surface roots damaging pavements, so out goes the large spreading trees and replant with miserable, dull looking cultivars that have no other use than by local councils.
          No one in their right mind would plant such stuff in a garden.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          It is so annoying, particularly the weeping willow as it was a beautiful tree. Is there any hope that it will slowly grow again, or is that it had its time?

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,125
          Edinburgh city council tree management department is verging on the pyschotic now. They just chopped down dozens of perfectly healthy fully matured large trees in Murrayfield Park for no reason. Theyve gone mad but at the same time if you were to damage a tree theyve deemed as protected then its the full weight of the court against you.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,831
          I don't know anything about the politics of tree management in Edinburgh but I am pretty sure a mature weeping willow will not be harmed much by pruning, even severe pruning. Perhaps you could inquire what their long term plans are.

• Like Like x 1
          • Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
            +250
            Our neighbours pruned their huge weeping willow a couple of years ago so it was left as a trunk. But they knew what they were doing: it's back thicker than ever now. Severe pruning just saves money doing it every year. You should see it growing again by now.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            This method of pruning is called Pollarding, and has been done for the long term benefit of trees, especially willows, all over Europe for hundreds of years. Nowadays, its often done to keep trees manageable.

Its very common to see here, as willows are a part of the culture of this area. Theres a churchyard a few miles from me that has this done regularly. The trees surround it and look stunning when they start to grow again.

So dont worry, done right, its for the best!

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +22,571
            Pollarding used to be carried out to protect young growth from cattle and deer. Cutting the tree at about head/shoulder height resulted in the production of long straight growth that could then be harvested on a rotational basis, similar to coppicing.
            You can still see pollarded oaks in Hatfield Forest and I believe the New Forest among other old deer parks.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            When pollarding is done to a willow, at least the way it is done here, it tends to produce a spherical growth pattern on the top of the tree. Sometimes, these are illuminated at night making them look like a row of moons...I could well imagine that other trees would look the same, but dont know for sure.

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
            +250
            Our neighbours cut theirs underneath at head height and put chairs and a table under it. Makes an excellent parasol.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            Thankfully, it has started sprouting back, so all is well. The other tree that was reduced to being just a trunk has been removed and a sapling planted in its place (looks like a silver birch sapling)