Butternut Squash Flowers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kandy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We are growing them for the first time this year and the plants as well as getting quiet large, now have flowers that are coming and going and are doing not much else.I would like to know from any one who has grown these before how do we get the flowers to form fruit.?

Mr Kandy says that the flowers we are getting all seem to be male ones and as there doesn't seem to be any female ones appearing yet,the flowers just keep dying.How do we get the female ones to start flowering because at this rate they are going to keep missing each other once the females do start to do something.Do we have to hand pollinate them or do we let the bees do it all and why don't the female flowers come at the same time as the male ones?

Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks:thumb:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Sorry Kandy, I don't know anything about the mating habits of butternut squash :eek:. We just let them do their own thing :).

We now have quite a lot of them that are small and many others are now starting to form. They seem to be about six weeks behind their usual time so yours may still grow. Once they start they should grow like mad :thumb:

Maybe someone else will have more info for you.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That's rather odd Kandy. Here up in the frozen, or rather soggy, north we've no problems with squash apart from the odd one rotting due to dampness. I've one on that must weigh about 1kg and is just about ready for harvest and a half doz smaller ones

4. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Kandy my butter-nut-squash turned out to be a marrow I think they got the seeds mixed up. Will try again next year.

5. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You will usually get lots of male flowers before the female fruit appear.

The trouble is (like me) it's getting a bit late for the fruit to develop anyway even if you do get any females.

I've only just got some females ,all be it about 4 weeks too late (just like last year) but there will be no chance of 'em getting to a decent size ,and more importantly ripening unless we get an Indian Summer.

You're not alone.

Just put it down to a hopeless """Summer"""".

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks for your replys everyone,as I said this is the first time we have grown them and they are putting on lots of leaves,though perhaps we were late in getting the plants in the ground.We had to wait until the last frost had been and gone before we could plant them and because the weather keeps going from one extreme to the other I am not surprised they have decided not to fruit yet.:rolleyes::eek:

If these ones don't come to much I shall try again next year.At least the growth that has been put out will go into the compost bin so will be of some use,and Mr K will have to go back to buying them from the supermarket:(:D

7. Boveytracey

Boveytracey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's my first year as well, and I have a similar problem, about 50% of the plants are all male flowers, and on the rest there is just one fruit, nice healthy ones, but only 1. They grow over everything else as well, some of my plants are over a metre long. I think I will try the method for courgettes I have used before, fill a large plastic pot with a good soil compost mix, then turn it over like a sandcastle cut off the bottom (now the top) and plant in there. they do need to be watched for water, but the results were good.

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good News,popped over to the allotment today to pick some more beans and found these little beauties....:thumb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are about seven at the moment,so hopefully will have some to pick for Mr K later on.I expect I ought to put something underneath them to protect my babies from the soil:p:D

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    They're looking good :thumb:.

They don't normally need anything underneath them as their skins become pretty tough by the time they end up lying on the ground.

10. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks for that Shiney,glad you saw this post.I thought that by the time you got on line the thread would have been over the other page:eek::D