Butternut squash trials!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by shiney, Aug 3, 2006.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    No, we're not at the Old Bailey.

Is anyone out there doing the Gardening Which? butternut squash trials? We got four seeds from them and planted according to the instructions. They say that this variety is hardy in our climate.

They have grown like mad and spread everywhere. I've started calling them Triffids. We have loads of fruit on them and the largest must weigh about 3 or 4 lbs already. We don't feed them but have planted them in plenty of compost.
    -----------------
    shiney

2. chrispt

chrispt Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine are in tubs in compost. What can I feed them on? Is tomorite ok. Mine are getting like triffids too but not yet 3lb in weight perhaps 1.5!

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    I don't really know what to feed them on. The instructions said that if being planted out we should just ignore them and let them go. I don't see why you can't use Tomorite.
    ----------------
    shiney

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi chrispt

Here's a picture of the triffids. They are just four plants and have started growing up my tomato plants and onto the lawn.

[​IMG]

and here's the biggest squash so far. There are lots of smaller ones. I haven't used any feed at all.

[​IMG]

---------------------
    shiney

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    theres loads there shiney enough to go around us lot. Dont think i have ever eaten butternut squash is it a veg and how do you cook it, seen it in the supermarkets did not buy it because of that reason. :confused:

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi rosa

There are lots of ways to cook it. You can make a good soup with it. The peel is very hard so it is best to cut it in half first and place the cut surface on a chopping board and use a sharp knife to peel it - cutting down towards the chopping board. Scoop out the seeds etc. Chop the squash and put it in a saucepan with coconut milk and some veggie stock powder or cube. Boil it till squash is soft and then liquidise. Very tasty.
    Also good as roasted veg. Chop into cubes and put into baking dish with red onion cut in quarters, sweet potato cubed, courgettes in smaller chunks (as they are quite watery they will release too much liquid if in big chunks), peppers in chunks, any other roasting veg you like, whole or grated garlic and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, shuffle it around and then back into oven for 5 or 10 minutes - keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't burning - very tasty - goes well with mozzarella and ciabatta bread.

You can of course google butternut squash recipes.

enjoy
    -----------------
    shiney

7. chrispt

chrispt Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shiny and all. My squash are beginning to look like triffids as well!I have fed them once with tomorite but just keep giving them plenty of water. Try mashing boiled squash and carrots together and put on top of shepherds pie instead of mashed potato - lovely!

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi chrispt
    Important when picking the squash!!!! When you cut them from the plant (not yet) try to leave about one and a half inches of stem on them. They keep much longer that way - you can usually keep them for weeks and weeks.
    ---------------------
    shiney

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Just seen this shiney, will write those recipes down will have to get me some and try those recipes they both sound lovely, thanks very much, put the recipes in the recipe section will be easier to retrieve later as i may forget where to find them, hope you dont mind me saying this.
    Iff i make a panful of soup can you freeze some or is it best just to make enough that you are going to slurp or eat sorry what is the right term for eating soup :D :D

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Forgot to mention looks like im going to be very busy in the kitchen with all these recipes i have collected from gc still havnt got round to making LoLs pate yet :D :D

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    rosa
    Yes, you can freeze the soup.
    I've been putting recipes in different areas when the topic has come up. Haven't thought about putting any on the Recipe site. As cooking is a hobby of mine I've got loads of my own recipes stored on the computer. I may get around to putting some on.
    ---------------
    shiney

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi shiney, great news then i can make more soup :D :D looking forward to seeing your recipes in the recipe section goody goody :D

13. timecharger

timecharger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    make sure you water them plenty...most fruiting veg (cukes, tomatoes, courgettes) only really get bigger when they have water to spare (from my experience anyway)

14. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Another very easy way to cook butternut squash is to cut the squash in half length ways and then roast in the oven skin side down.

You can then scoop this out with spoon/fork and don't need to mash it.

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    The squash in the picture has got quite a bit bigger. I was going to pick it this morning but the colour is changing from the green stripes to a faded slightly beige colour. I'll leave it for another couple of days to see whether it starts looking the same colour as those in the shops.
    -------------------
    shiney