1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buxus Topiary Help - Some advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Domini, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

1. Domini

Domini Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all :)

Just wondering if any of you fine gardeners would be able to give me some much needed advice please?

I have just bought two rather sad looking buxus topiaries from the reduced section in my local garden centre, one a spiral & the other a cone shape for much less than the original price. The spiral one wasn't in to bad a condition just a few dead leaves which I have since trimmed but the cone had lost a lot of its inner leaves & was looking quite bald inside when I parted the outer branches.

I have always dreamt of having a buxus spiral either side of my front door but could never afford the hefty price so when I saw these I thought I could give revive them with some much needed tender loving care & shape the cone boxwood into a spiral to match the other.

After watching a demonstration on shaping a spiral topiary on YouTube I set about trying to transform the cone into a spiral but it didn't quite work out as I had hoped. As you can see from my photo's there are many upright stems I cannot cut into to create the matching shape as it will lose the foliage from above. I am not sure if this is because of the loss of the leaves on the inner branches & in time & weekly seaweed feeds they will grow back thus creating more of a matching shape to its Sister or is all hope lost.

I would so appreciate any advice you lovely, more experienced gardeners may be able to give me

(please excuse the untidy garden in the photos it's very much a work in progress :snorky:)

Kindest regards,
    Domini x

Attached Files:

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,288
    Welcome to the site firstly. I think youve done a great job there. I would leave it now and let it recover. Protect it from any nasty winter winds the next few months.Seaweeds a good feed as youve said,i would add an aspirin to the watering can too.

Topiary is a gradual process taking time hence the high prices charged , times money. Ive got a hedge that had some sort of blight but came back good as new so yours will push out some new leaves im sure. A few twigs might not but no big deal as the new growth will cover any gaps. Patience.....:blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Domini

Domini Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi WeeTam :)

Nice to meet you. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message & giving me such a warm welcome, this is a great site. Also thank you for such a lovely compliment & great advice, I am thrilled to hear that as I thought I may have messed it up. I will certainly be following your advice & adding an aspirin to the watering can & protecting it from the elements.

I absolutely appreciate the high cost of a topiary because of the time involved, I don't always have a lot of spare cash (mainly because I can't resist all the wonderful plants out there :snorky:) but I do have a lot of patience & look forward to the day it springs back to life. Pleased to hear your hedge recovered from the dreaded blight.

Many thanks once again

Kindest regards,
      Domini :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1