Buxus Woes

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Rich Lakin, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Rich Lakin

Rich Lakin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Hope you’re enjoying the first proper signs of summer

I wonder if anyone has some advice for me on some Buxus issues I’m having.

Every year I dig out dead plants and renew them but the same happens, they just die off in a certain part of the garden.

There is an issue where the bottom part of the garden where the problematic plants are gets totally water logged. My garden is in a clay ground area and simply will not drain.

I’ve dug down and replaced soil plus adding larger stones and horticultural grit along with fresh compost but can’t see to get these to survive and it’s really frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas. I’ve attached some photos for reference.

If I am to give up on the Buxus, any other thoughts what I could use to line the path?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Welcome to the forum Rich.

I think the drainage issue would need to be sorted as alternatives to box would suffer the same way in waterlogged soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,995
      Perhaps create a bog garden at that lower end

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,087
        The way box moth caterpillars are going I'd not be planting box these days anyway.
        I'd hate you to sort the drainage issues and then get hit with the moths, or even box blight.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,497
          It depends where you live as to whether you get the moth. We don't have it here, for example. :smile:

I don't think there's any point in constantly trying to grow it if you can't sort the conditions though @Rich Lakin.
          You'd have to dig out the area and put in drains or soakaways, and that's a lot of work, especially as it looks like the grass nearby is affected too. The alternative to that is to go upwards. Not a quick or cheap option either, unless you can do all the work yourself, and it may look odd if you only do that end, so you'd need to consider that as well.
          A timber bed is much easier, but if the soil is constantly wet or waterlogging, a brick or block construction would be longer lasting. Blockwork can be rendered and painted too, so you can link it to the house or any other hard landscaping colours. That would probably require workmen though, so it does come down to budget too.

• Like Like x 1
          • amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +897
            Maybe this is the perfect occasion to forgo the straight path and introduce a curve away from the problem area and maybe make a bed there with moisture loving plants, surely a more logical way to go than fighting the conditions by throwing money at it.

After all what's garden design, than working with the conditions of the plot and adapting? Sometimes we have to get ourselves out of the mind frame of symmetry.

• Like Like x 3
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,087
              I didn't have it here 4 yrs ago , I think it's probably just a matter of time.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,497
                It depends on how the garden is used though @amancalledgeorge , and if people want a straight line, that's their choice. I agree that it's another option though.
                It would still cost money to make a curve as all the edging would need altered [which isn't as easy to do on a curve ] and it would also depend how widespread the waterlogging is. :smile:

I think it's still largely the south east of England that has the biggest problem with the moth. How far and how vigorously it spreads will depend on various factors. I believe there are a few pockets in the east of Scotland, but that's a very different landscape and climate from the west side, so that will have an influence on the spread too. Who knows. All the box round here is in great condition, and only tends to get affected by harsher weather in winter for a temporary period. The non winters we're getting may impact that in future though - if that trend continues.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,975
                  If you want to avoid groundwork to solve the drainage problem, I'd remove all the affected box, leave the two healthy sides and then have a think! It takes a while to get used to a change in the garden (usually overnight for me!), but then you can work with what you have. Perhaps a topiarised box at the ends of the rows might work, an archway or a couple of large containers planted up with seasonal plants for some colour. Only you will know that this was not your original intention:).

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
                  • Rich Lakin

Rich Lakin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1
                    Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments, very helpful indeed :)

• Like Like x 1