Buying a Propagator

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dee, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All..... I am in the market to purchase a propagator. Any advice on what kind, where to buy, best price, tips on usage etc... Will be greatly appreciated.

~Dee

2. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    dee are you after a heated one

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I bought a heated propagator from my local Wyevale, the larger heated kind, for �£20.00. If you spend a bit extra, you can have one with a thermostatic controller. The one bad thing I will say about mine, is that you cannot fit seed trays in it very easy, so if you want to fit tray in it, test that they will fit first, mine fits one large seed tray and I have to use pots around it.

Nathan.

4. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Alan I want a heated one. I have always just used my window sills here and in the states ... And I am just a bit discouraged with some of my seeds not germinating. Sssooooo Itââ?¬â?¢s time to bust out the check book. A nice price for a good product that is !!!! I like the Monarchs BTW [​IMG]

~Dee

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Dee , best go for a thermostatic double size standard seed tray or larger, so you can overwinter maturer plants in winter too.......or, if you can lay power to greenhouse, best make your own and get undersoil cable, 6 x 3 and about 2 ft high would be better then a standard seed tray type for indoors, then you need light too, seedlings can still get leggy in late winter. Best in the long run....I made one 24 yrs ago with thermostat and is still running, just need to replace some sand now and again.Now nurturing my young Plummies lol.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Nathan

I must have bought exactly the same propagator from Wyevale from �£20 two days ago. The size is very silly. I also bought a thermometer and humidity measurer.

I am bemused by the temperature. It is a 22 watt device, and yesterday and today, when the ambient temperature was about 62F, if the thermometer is pushed to the bottom of a pot with a cutting in - it registered 98F. Halfway up the pot it registered 85F and when laid on top of the pot 72F. The vents were closed and the humidity was 100%.

It looks like the cutting depth is very critical, pushed in too far it will fry. Any comments?

7. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    dee
    try N.A.KAYS notsure how to put the link on but the address is
    WWW.kayshorticulture.com
    you cant order online but you can look at the online catalogue and either ask them for their catologue or just phone for what you want
    family got me a nice thermo controlled unit for about �£50.00 got to say nice bit of gear page46/47 hope this helps

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    alan

Thanks - I have ordered Kays catalog

9. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Want to thank everyone for their help on this... I did purchase one of the Propagators from Wyevale... and it's full up with little pots a'plenty. Just waiting for the grand entrance of the first little green bits to burts out. (Actually the Hibiscus burst out, I think the day after I planted it..if not the next da,y it was just 2 days�.. they are amazing)

Ladybird had a great idea to make my own Propagator over the summer and be up and running for the next batch of seedlings. My husband, bless his heart, said he'd make me one and here are some links for the under soil heating that he found, if anyone is interested.

http://www.twowests.co.uk

http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk

http://www.cmsgardens.co.uk/propagator.htm

http://www.onlinegreenhouses.co.uk/shop/pages/page15.htm

http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/category.asp?cid=5WUEFYDPCL2LLYL5C4HWI3UQTGQRG6BW&cat_id=PROP

Thanks again and Happy Seedlings
    ~Dee

10. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    PS.. to the above message.. I think it was JungleSeeds that had the best price for the cable.
    ~D