1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Plants On-Line ???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fair Weather Gardener!, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Fair Weather Gardener!

Fair Weather Gardener! still a newbie :)

School Gardener & Freelance Photographer
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, as much as I LOVE wandering around the garden centre buying my plants in person, there are times I'd need to buy in bulk and get them delivered. Where's best to buy them on-line??? There are so many companies, I just wondered what your thoughts are. :pcthwack:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    There are very few mail-order plant suppliers that I have bought from "in bulk" and been entirely happy. Packaging for "travel" is the first issue, and quality of plants [selected by the packer] the second. There are also only a few that I have given enough repeat business to that make a comment worthwhile.

I've been very happy with Ashridge Trees (for bare root trees, although they do do some in containers too), and trees-online.co.uk for cell-grown trees, and would give them 10/10 for both plant quality and courier-safe packaging!

I have bought from van Meuwen and RHS (supplied by Crocus I think?) and some of the shipments of plants were "not good enough" (but not bad enough to send them back), so I'd give them 8/10.

I have also bought from shrubsdirect.com but my orders were big enough that they delivered in their own vehicle, and that was 10/10, but can't say if they had to travel via 3rd party courier.

Need to be careful that the size of plants that you receive matches your expectations; things have usually been correctly described, but you can't plant a mini-plug plant outside, and if you are growing a shrub anything less than about a 3-5L container is going to need a season or two of extra growing.

Generally my purchases are to save money, and I buy smaller with the intention of growing on, so it hasn't been a problem for me, but I have been surprised at how small some plants are thinking "I wonder how someone without facilities for growing-on would get on with this" !!

Personally for purchase of a decent number of Shrubs I would want to go to a special nursery and choose them myself

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      most of what I buy comes off ebay .... huge savings to be had and never had a problem ...

just read the listing carefully (sometimes they show a large plant in the photo, but are actually selling a plug plant)

you need to find a seller that has all the plants you require, so as to save on shipping .... it also pays to negotiate discounts when buying in bulk off ebay ...

check the feedback .... if everyone is happy, you have less risk

• Fair Weather Gardener!

Ratings:
      +4
      cheers - i recently bought some 'in the green' bulbs off ebay from 2 different sellers - not too bad and time will tell how they get on. i'm after summer bedding plants so want to choose now and order to be delivered in May ideally so ebay not so good for future ordering. I got a thompson-morgan leaflet through the post but obv want to shop round to save money. :smile:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Can you not just take a drive into your local countryside where you'll (usually) find many makeshift signs for cheap bedding plants. I think its mostly old farmers doing it for a bit of pocket money while his/her younger staff do the actually farming. We have one not far from us that sells trays of 48 plants for £5 sometimes.

• Like Like x 4
      • Fair Weather Gardener!

Ratings:
        +4
        great idea !!! thanks :) :ccheers:

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I've not bought in bulk per se, but I have previously bought plants off shrubsdirect as well and have been pleased with the service.

Recently bought some plants from the Duchy of Cornwall Nursery website and have been really impressed with their customer service and prices, and the quality and selection has been great. The plants arrived next day and were well wrapped.

I've heard that Crocus is quite good but never tried them (mainly because I find them quite pricey).

• Like Like x 2
        • Fair Weather Gardener!

Ratings:
          +4
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi FWG
          when buying online there is absolutely no relationship between quality and price ! The plants I have bought from Ebay have all been excellent delivery , price and quality. I have tended to avoid the big companies but this year used T and M , the NG Impatiens were stunning , Begonias very good , Fuchsias OK. As Merle said there are some expensive ones out there , I too find Crocus pricey but it is a great reference site :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1