cabbage and Cauli

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by logi06, May 24, 2010.

1. logi06

logi06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    being my first year I am trying to get the most for the year. Although I am not stupid (well think not) confused by two seed packets

Cabbage Advantage F1 - I think I plant twice for two seasons can someone clarify packet says

Sow - March-Sept for Summer and Autumn crops and Oct to overwinter

Cauliflower - All Year Round

Sow Feb - May or Oct overwintered
    Harvest July to Oct or June

It is probably really simple but the more I read the more confused I get

Every thing I have done is fine.

Thank you

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    It's just saying that you can spread the sowings out fi you want, and obviously the plants will mature later. It's up to you really - do you want winter cabbages? It's too late to sow now for the summer but will be OK for autumn cabbage. For winter cabbages I'd start sowing late June to mid August. I certainly would not sow any as late as Oct.

3. logi06

logi06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you - you tend to think when you ony have one reply it is a stupid question but I understand clearly now and thanks for taking the time

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    It's not a stupid question logi06 :thumb:

5. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi
    I'm not a big fan of All YR caulis, they taste of rusty nails to me, there are much better varieties out there!

Try any of the so called Australian varieties for an autumn crop, now is the time to sow them, if sown any earlier they do not do!

And as for overwintering caulis, once I tried them, I planted about 2 dozen, had to protect them with chicken wire and nets against the pigeons and pheasants, then they were "ALL" ready in the same few days, never again.

This meant that they had been in the same piece of ground for about 9 months in total, nothing else could be grown there, and unable to winter dig that patch, not to be recommended!

Cheers!