Caesalpinia gilliesii- help?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Liz, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I now have 5 plants coming into their 3rd year and I am hoping for flowers this year, but they've only just started into growth and I think something is eating the new shoots:( Also they haven't bushed out although I have pinched them out. Any advice on feeding?
    I've moved them and slug protected [hopefully] but would they be better outside now? They're in the greenhouse which was frost-free over winter.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    Liz, it might be winter moth caterpillars or similar eating the shoots, I would be inclined to cut them back again, as it is early in the sason they will grow quickly. They have a tendency to grow rather straggly and need pruning to prevent that. I am not sure they would flower outside yet but could if left in the greenhouse. I have some inside and out in pots. I have fed both now and will feed every other week through the summer. Pete might be able to advise you as to growing them outside as I know he has a large shrub. I don't have anywhere here to plant them in the ground.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Liz, mine has not started yet, not a bud, its been cold this so called spring.

They will come, unlike strongy I have never flowered one in a pot.
    A warm wall is my advice, I find they dont grow well in pots.

As to pruning, find that the harder the pruning the less the chance of flowers, so I prune mine as little as possible.
    Once flowers start to form they tend to come from the short growths at the back of the last flower.
    Dont know why the its gone italics, but I'm not writing it all again, it takes long enough with one finger as it is.

Check for scale insect Liz.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks both. Think I'll try a couple outside and leave the others in the pot!
    Also, pete, how long did your feijoa take to flower? I have a sole survivor of a packet of seeds[!] which is now a nice little plant, about 5" tall also in it's 3rd year and also in a pot.
    Liz

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Cant actually remember how long for flowers on the Feijoa, Liz, i think it must have been at least five years.
    Dont think mine flowered until I planted them out, although personally I think they are a better pot plant than caesalpinia.
    At 5 ins I dont think I would be planting out yet, at least another year in a pot, just to be on the safe side, as you only have one left.
    I must try some cuttings this year, you do know that you need two different plants for fruit set/ pollenation?

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks Pete, I didn't know that. I suppose I have time to start more seed! The flowers are lovely.

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Liz, I`ve had a Feijoa sellowiana in my garden for about 8 years. It flowered last year for the first time, but well worth the wait.:thumb::D

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Look at this today.
    These shoots have only had the dead flower stalks removed, I find that immediately behind the old flower stalk, the new shoots bud up after only a couple of leaves.:thumb:

[​IMG]

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I have never managed to get the seeds going (twice failure) .... thankfully strongy sent lots of them so I shall start yet again!

I've got the builders starting again Tuesday/Wednesday to rip up and do two patios in front of the house and kitchen so all my places for starting things are going to go amiss so I'll just have to take my chances .... yet agaiin!

Perhaps one day ........ :)

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I have a suspicion that this is what Waco's seed is, LoL.

The one I thought might be Bauhinia.

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Don't think so, pete, as the seeds from Waco are large and I'm sure (without looking in my organised shoebox of seeds tomorrow) that the ones strongy sent are small.

Talking about Waco's seeds (hrrmm) I have to make a confession here. I soaked the seeds overnight having clipped them and then planed them ..... upside down!!!!!! I got five shoots that looked rather strange to say the least. The day before I went away, I uprooted them, saw the error of my ways and turned them around... I came back to three dead, two alive !!!!!! Am I really telling the world how stupid I am? ...... Yes! and I've succeeded.

Anyway, I'll take pics over the next couple of weeks when the builders are back here demolishing my patios and making nice ones and I need something to do ....

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I'll take a pic of my seedlings.

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    LoL, I have more if you want.:D

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Think you're right pete .... I thought strongy's were much smaller .... Waco's on the right, strongy's on the left.

[​IMG]

And my two surviving seedlings that tried to fry whilst I was away ... sorry for the blurred photo ... :(

[​IMG]

Thanks for the offer strongy but I think I have enough to populate the Algarve. :D

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059