CairnGorm Wild Mountain Garden - The Highest Garden in the UK

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by wildmountaingardener, Oct 7, 2011.

1. wildmountaingardener

wildmountaingardener Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,668
      Welcome Jonny.....what a beautiful area, the scenery thats in the walking tours, incredible!!

Be sure to stop in the welcome corner and introduce yourself, so everyone can say hi.

• wildmountaingardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +8
      Yeh it is a great place to be a gardener, a different view of the hills everyday. It does come with some "small problems" weather wise we have some of the highest wind speeds up here along with snow up until May time so the season is very very short with the snow returning in October. The temperature remains pretty low all summer. But on the plus side we have ideal conditions for alpines and a whole mountain range to get inspiration from.

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +306
      I can honestly say that this is well worth a trip!!

Jonny me and the OH visited the garden last year. We've been up to the highlands the past few years, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to go again this year. We didnt really know there was a garden when we took the drive up there, but were pleasantly surprised. The garden flowed wonderfully. And there were plenty of idea's I took away with me too. I know it's small , but it did inspire me to do a large alpine planter on my return home. It's well worth the drive up there anyway......just breathtaking. You are so lucky looking at that view every single day....but oh my it was windy the day we went. I remember feeling the car shaking as we ate our lunch in the car from those winds gusting in. The little camper vans in the car park looked like they were gonna get blown over :heehee:

One suggestion....you need a plant 'for sale' section if possible as you have some wonderful specimens. I couldn't see one, but maybe you're not allowed to?

I'll see if I can dig out my photo's when I get home!:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • wildmountaingardener

Gardener
        Ratings:
        +8
        The snow is falling at 900m and is set to work its way down the mountain so I can safely say that this week is the end of my season! Once again it has been short but full of surprises!
        Check out this link to one of our youtube videos which tells you a bit about some of the other work we do up here!
        PLANTING FOR THE FUTURE - CAIRNGORM MOUNTAIN - YouTube

• Like Like x 3
        • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
          Ratings:
          +1,668
          What an amazing spot, the mountains are stunning!!

Snow.....not ready for it here either, but they are calling for it on Thursday here.

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
          Ratings:
          +306
          Eeeek not long for you then Penny. I bet it's quite nice for the first week or so, when you've not seen it for a while....and you can stay inside nice and cosey :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
            +42
            Myself and Newey had the great pleasure of going up the cairngorm a couple of years ago while up at Aviemore for Christmas and he made it to the top despite the snow and rapid weather change that day, saw the mountain garden area and all the wild life that it attracts and love the work that is being done, felt very blessed being able to have gone there.

• Like Like x 1