calla, canna, dahlia overwinter in planter, ok to do?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by al n, Jul 7, 2012.

1. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    hi guys and gals, hope the sun is shining for you??!

i have 2 dahlia's, a canna and a calla in a planter, looking fab, will it be ok to bring it indoors at the first frosts and use as a house planter til spring? also, doing it this way, will the plants continue growing or not?

i have the space to accommodate a planter or 2 indoors and i'm thinking of doing the same with my washington robusta.

many ta's for all advice and replies in advance.
    Al.:dbgrtmb:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Al

Yes bring them in, but in the cool they dont want and dont need heat you wont have enough daylight for them to grow properley plus they need a break as well over the winter too much heat and the canna will grow but the leaves will be very weak the dahlias I would dig up 1st week of November and store them away and the Calla I think dies down ito the soil , a greenhouse would be ideal and if we have a realy bad cold winter (the thought of that ) no more please ... wrap up in fleece buble wrap to give xtra protection or bring into the kitchen like Armanddi does his kitchen looks like Kew greenhose over the winter months

Spruce

3. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    cheers spruce :blue thumb:

i don't have a greenhouse, but have a shed (full!) and a garage that could accomodate them.

• Like Like x 1