Callistemon citrinus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by adamsh, May 19, 2013.

1. adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
    +121
    Nothing too exciting, but it looks like the honey and bumble bees have started to take notice of my 2 Callistemon :)

Over the last couple of days I have seen a couple of both diving head fist into the brushes to get what ever it is the flowers produce (not sure if its Nectar or Pollen).

When I first got them there was conflicting information, some saying bees like them and others saying they don't go near them, not sure if it is the lavender that has made them take notice of it (I planted 3 different lavender types close too and under each one).

• Like Like x 2
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      I've just googled it and they look really nice. I can feel a purchase coming on!

I've noticed this conflicting information regarding what bees like and what they don't. For instance I've tried plants that bees are supposed to like which others have recommended on the net and yet the bees that visit my garden won't go anywhere near them. :dunno:

Are the bees visiting anything else in your garden apart from lavender and callistemon?

• adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
      +121
      My Garden is quite new, and only seems to be on the flight path on sunny days. I have a few bee friendly plants that they are ignoring Erysimum Bowles being one of them.

The only other one I have seen them show an interest in is Arabis rose delight, but that is starting to drop its flowers as it is a march to may plant.

I have some foxgloves and Lupins growing, but that haven't flowered yet, I also have a large pot with wild flower seeds and a smaller pot with Phacelia Tanacetifolia which the bees are supposed to love.

One thing I did do was visit my local garden centre and see what plants the bees were showing an interest in there. What I did notice is that most of the bees were ignoring the plants with little RHS Bee friendly labels on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +7,491
        It's funny you should say this as in my garden the bees are loving Erysimum Bowles! They are visiting Arabis too which is also called rose delight.

I do exactly the same and watch the bees at the garden centre. There weren't that many bees though. I only saw them on the french lavender so I bought one. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          They were more interested in my tomato plants last year than anything else in the garden

• Like Like x 1
          • adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
            +121
            I managed to get a couple of short videos, but mr bumble bumble (as my niece likes to call them) was camera shy.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +7,491
              The bee seems pretty happy on those flowers. :blue thumb:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +29,477
              I have always had Bees on Callistemons and colour doesn't matter either, red, pink, yellow, orange or green. I presume as yours is in flower that it is a recent purchase as they would not normally be in flower yet.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
                +121
                I bought them in B&Q about 3 weeks ago so fairly recent, I have been trying to find out how long it flowers for in the UK, according to the labels that came with the plant it said Feb to June.

If that's incorrect and they flower much later then that makes me happy, I have been deadheading the spent flowers and there are a lot of new shoots waiting to flower so it looks like it has a while to go yet.

I do have a couple of questions for you seeing as you have them.

1) I know the seed pods form from the little acorn cup looking pods that the actual flower comes out of, but what are the little brown cone shaped things that appear on the stalks, are they future flower spikes`?

2) some sites say deadhead when the flower fades, a few of mine are no longer the bright red with orange tips, and are a dull dark red, are these ready to be cut off? I have been waiting for all the little hairs to fall off before cutting.

Cheers