Camelia problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Louise, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I bought this last year and it has never looked very healthy in my garden, though the other one I bought and planted not too far away its doing a bit better.
    What could be causing the problem? The leaves are pale green and it seems to be dying from the top, the top stems of the plant are brown and look almost burnt. It is in sandysoil but its quite heavy soil too.
    Every garden over here grows these without problems, except me.:what:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Louise

Have you tested the soil ?

Also is it planted in the lawn as you seem to have grass growing very close to it, also did it dry out a lot last summer as it looks like it could do with a feed plus , the hard winter stirikes again me thinks
    Check the under leaves for scale insect as well

Spruce

3. Louise 1

Louise 1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Those leaves look as if they're chlorotic, this means the soil is the wrong ph.
    Camellias only thrive in an acid soil, as Spruce suggested - test your soil and you'll probably find it's not acid enough.

Soil testing kits can be bought in a garden centre and some hardware shops, they're quite cheap to buy and very simple to use.

My soil is very alkaline in my front garden and neutral in the back (previous owner imported the soil) so my camellia has to be in a giant pot - where it's happily living :)

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Give it a feed of sequestrene it should green it up.
    Wait a month or so though.

But long term I think you have a problem with the wrong kind of soil and should consider moving it to a large container or a raised bed of acid soil.

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi louise, Pete is right, the camellia needs acid soil and the colour of the leaves are indicative of it being in a neutral or alkaline soil. It also likes the soil to be enriched with leave mould and should be watered with rain water not tap water. If you haven't checked the soil to see whether or not it's acid it might be a good idea to carry out a test. Usually if you look around the neighbours gardens to see if anyone is growing Rhododendrons or Azaleas you can tell you've got acid soil.

6. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks everyone.
    The soil is about level 6. I have lifted the plant out and root wise it hadn't done much. I now think the lack of drainage around the roots is a major factor too. I have rinsed some of claggy soil off and have left it to dry a bit.
    I don't really want to plant it in a pot , (don't think I have a pot big enough to accommodate it when it's fully grown) So I am going to try it in a less heavy spot, with some pine bark in at the bottom and some special feed.
    If it is going to improve; how soon do you think I should see a difference? Because if this doesn't work I will pop it in a pot.