Camellia - dead or alive?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jazzy, Aug 21, 2022.

1. jazzy

jazzy Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I had to move a camellia bush last December, it was a well established plant and the root ball had to be cut quite extensively to move the plant.

I thought the plant was under shock, but I have my doubts if the plant survived the move, what are your thoughts if it is dead or alive?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    • Hijazzy Spring is the best time to move a camellia to a new spot. but if you damaged the roots digging it up doubt that it will recover., as The more roots the plant has left, the livelier it will be.ialso its best not to shake the soil off .
    • Did it have any flowers on it when you transplanted it as flowers can weaken the plant as a last resort You could . try scraping back a bit of bark on one of the stems with your fingernail - if there is any sign of green that branch is still alive)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  3. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    December shouldn't have been an issue to move it, as it's an evergreen so not totally dormant.
    However, the 'extensive' root pruning could well have been the death of this plant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,196
      IME Camellias don't re-generate well, if at all, once their leaves have browned. Try scraping the bark, as Janet suggests, but I think it's a lost cause.

• Agree Agree x 1