Camellia japonica - does it look ok?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Linz, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Hoping someone can help me out, I bought a camellia around the end of April last year (don't know the specifics other than it has red-pink semi double flower) had it in a pot for a week and then put it in the ground at the back, dug some ericaceous soil in around and it looked gorgeous all spring/summer and had plenty of blooms, lovely glossy leaves and put on quite a bit of growth.. now I know we had some really wet, windy and sometimes freezing weather so thought it looked bit battered due to that, come last month it's leaves started to brown and I noticed a few on the ground and no fat flower buds. Here's how it looks today 20160313_150735.jpg 20160313_150747.jpg Didn't notice any bugs, there's new leaf buds and the trunk looks fine, I think.. I'm just bit worried about the loss of leaves, lack of flower buds and how it looks in general. I'm thinking of sticking it in a pot but don't really want to.
    Also, found this bad boy underneath 1457888686975259594165.jpg
    Read the seed shouldn't dry out but it's hard as nails. Any suggestions please?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,827
    I wouldn't worry too much yet about the leaves. Evergreens do lose their leaves but not all at the same time.
    The leaves age turn yellow then brown and drop off. This happens throughout the year and so long as new leaf buds are developing it should be alright.
    Do you know the pH of your soil?
    Camellias form flower buds over the previous summer. If they suffer from drought over the summer the flower buds abort. Or it could be sulking after being moved.
    Did you tease the roots out of the root ball before planting?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Thanks for the reply Nigel, I did try to keep it watered last year but there was 2 weeks where it would of had less water as we were on hols. I'm not sure of my soils ph, I'd have a guess at slightly acidic, a short drive from here rhododenrons grow like weeds. My other half planted it and I don't think he would have teased the roots. I've read they have large taproots.. is it possible they are too crowded and need sorting?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,827
      • Like Like x 1
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        Thanks again Nigel, just asked he didn't tease the roots. I think it was in the pot it came in for a good while before I bought it, I soaked it before planting as it was bone dry actually. Will take a gander at that site now. Cheers :blue thumb: