camellias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bluewillow, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bluewillow

bluewillow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, i recentley brought 2 cammellia, one is called japonica rubescens major, and the other one is called williamsii debbie. i have watererd them but made the mistake of watering them with household water ive noticed over the passed 2 days that a couple of the leaves have gone yellow, is me watering them with houshold water to blame?, im planning on putting them in contaners and i know that they need the same soil as rhododendrones. before i plant them into the contaners is there anything that i could also be adding to the soil to give them the best start possible?. they are only small in 1.5 ltr pots.thanks for any help.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I doubt your couple of waterings, if that's all it was, is likely to be turning the leaves yellow just yet.
    If its lower leaves I would not worry.

If it chlorosis its usually all the leaves showing yellowish.
    I'm thinking ordinary ericaceoius compost would be ok to pot into.

In future years if you have to use tap water a once a year feed with sequestrene will sort out any problems regarding chlorosis.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Camelias are usually a lot tougher than the 'experts' tell us.

Like pete, I doubt if you have done anything that has damaged the plants. Follow his instructions and they should do well. They sometimes take a little while to settle down.

We are on alkali soil and our camelias do OK with just the occasional horse manure put around them. One of our plants has been in full bloom for a month already. :thumbsup:

4. bluewillow

bluewillow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,thanks for the help , just another quickie question, what is the best feed to buy with camelias? what should i be looking for when buy a good fertilizer? ,also do i need to mix anything else in with the soil to improve and help start these small camelias?, .