Camera Insurance

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Feb 15, 2016.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Good afternoon I am looking to insure my camera (theft/damage/ect)can anyone suggest a good broker/company ,thank you:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      Mine's covered by our house contents insurance - have you checked yours Woo? If it's not mentioned then they should be able to add it on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,507
        Good afternoon 'JWK my friend ,I have checked but its only for in house and I wanted cover for anywhere,I will check again but I would prefer a separate camera insurance,but thank you for your input,very much appreciated:smile:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,823
        Contact your house insurance company @wiseowl and tell them exactly what you want. They should be able to cover it for you and it will be cheaper than a separate insurance. You may have to mark your camera's for identification purposes too. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,621
          I agree with @Sheal. I have covered mine through my house insurer. The equipment isn't kept at my house, but they have covered it for accidental damage when out and about, plus theft from the car, providing it was out of sight (locked in boot), and there is evidence of a break in.
          I am sure it covers you for accidental damage in the home too, but check it all out when you speak to them. I have been asked to photograph all of the equipment I have, including the serial numbers, and to keep my receipts etc.
          I took out 2 extra insurances on Saturday, when talking rats to them, and from what I can make out, it will cost me less than £10 per month for the two :)

• Like Like x 3
          • Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
            Ratings:
            +563
            Hi Wiseowl, I work for an Insurance Broker and my role is actually home insurance [emoji4]

If you have home contents insurance, you can ask to add on 'personal possessions' cover. Typically, this is world wide cover for things like cameras, items of jewellery, watches, glasses etc. As has been stated already, it is usually cheaper than taking out a separate policy.

If you want cover for accidents you also need 'extended accidental damage cover' . I say extended as standard A/D cover is usually for TV, audio and entertainment equipment and fixed glass & mirrors. Check with your current provider to see if you need to upgrade.

It's recommended to check your excess as well. There is no point having this cover if your excess is very high. If your camera is worth £300 but you have a £250 excess it would be pointless making a claim!

And finally be aware no home insurance policy provides cover for wear and tear. If your camera just stops working for no reason, it wouldn't be covered by your policy.

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,174
              I agree with the others. It should be much cheaper to cover it through your home contents insurance.

Our house and contents insurance covers us for rebuilding costs up to 1 million, household contents up £75,000 which includes accidental damage at home and for items away from home. If cameras, jewellery etc. are above a certain value they need to be specified and can cost a very small amount extra. Excesses vary depending on which section they come under. Total cost for all this is around £200 per annum.

• Like Like x 1
              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +91,507
                Good morning all my friends and many thanks for all your kind and very informative comments,very much appreciated,I shall phone my insurer's to day:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1