Camera recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Fern4, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    So can anyone recommend a camera for me? I'm not an experienced photographer by any means but don't mind learning.

I want to take photos of the family, the garden, views on days out that sort of thing. I see some lovely photos on here of bees on flowers, ladybirds etc so being able to take close ups would be good. I can spend up to £400, maybe a bit more!

Any ideas? :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I love Canon PowerShot. I've had several variants, over the years, and am now on the SX50HS.

That model won't fit in your pocket, but it does most of what the SLRs will do (its a so called "bridge camera") and without the need to lug lenses and all the rest of the accoutrement around with you. I did that years ago, back in the days of film, and I have no wish to repeat it now. Only thing I miss is the zoom ring on the lens, the little zoom lever on the PowerShot does not give the same fine adjustment.

The SX50HS has a lens that zooms from 24 - 1200 mm, you'd certainly need 2 lenses for that on an SLR, and more likely 3 or perhaps more. It will go beyond that zoom, digitally, to 200x !

Here's a picture (from this thread) to show what that means. These are not cropped (just reduced to 800 x 600 to fit on this site), so this was exactly what I saw through the viewfinder. The pictures are hand-help, no tripod (the camera has a stabilising capability for slow shutter speeds / extreme zoom)

[​IMG]
    Normal 24mm. See the statue at the end of the path? Here it is :) :

[​IMG]
    Full optical zoom

[​IMG]
    Full digital zoom

It also has a Macro mode for closeups. You can fiddle with it, in macro mode, but in most cases you don't have to do anything - just move closer. Here's an example of my laptop screen:

[​IMG]

and then moving even closer, so that the lens is actually touching the screen:

[​IMG]

Other thing I like is that you can use viewfinder (great in bright light) or the back screen; the back screen rotates in all directions, including flipping out to the side and rotating back-to-front so that you can see it when you take a selfie!

There are smaller, more pocket sized, cameras in the PowerShot range. They all come with the same excellent Canon software.

Have a look at one of the camera review sites - that will help you get a short-list of must-have features etc

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs

I bought mine for £250 from eGlobal Digital

• Like Like x 2
    • GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      • Like Like x 1
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 earlier this year and can honestly say its fantastic, equivilant zoom of 600mm, granted not as big as some of the other bridge cameras but its enough for me :) I like taking wildlife photos and the 12fps burst shooting at full resolution sold it for me. I paid around £360 new off an Ebay seller and have since bought some filters, close up filters for even closer macro work and a remote, I'm loving it :dancy::dbgrtmb:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200_Digital-Camera_review

• Like Like x 2
        • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +7,491
          Thanks guys....just checking out your recommendations. Lots to think about! :) :blue thumb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Hi Fern, to be honest I don't like recommending cameras as they can be a very personal choice and what one person likes another won't:dunno::snork: But if I may I would suggest you get a Bridge Camera with a EVF [electronic view finder] and not with with just a LCD monitor to compose your pics. An optical or a electronic view finder will give you an advantage and make for better pics. Seeing people holding a camera at arms length trying to take a pic makes me wince as you just end up taking snaps.
          You also want want one that will take RAW, JPEG and RAW + JPEG format if possible. If not, then get one that will take RAW and JPEG. You can, on your budget of around £400, get a really good camera that will allow you to do things beyond just family snaps. Also in that price bracket you can get cameras with sensors between 12mp [mega pixels] and 20 mp. Around 16mp would do you nicely although there's nothing wrong with a camera of 12mp as it will give crisp and clear pics.
          There is a plethora of great quality Bridge Cameras on the market so you have loads of choice and I would look not only at Canon [much marketed] but others as well. If you can handle a few before you decide to see how comfortable and easy it feels in the hand. As I said I don't like recommending cameras but to start you off have a look at:

Sony HX300, Fujifilm HS50EXR, Nikon P520, Canon SX50 HS.

I wouldn't rush at buying a camera and don't worry not choosing the all singing, all dancing camera of fashion. The camera manufacturers churn out new improved cameras all the time so don't let that distract you. Just look for a camera that will let you do the things you want to do without being caught by all the wonderous things a camera can do according to the marketing blurb!!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            Some good points Armandii, I always use the viewfinder on the camera mentioned above, easy to use and much easier to compose photos I find :)

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              The camera you have, Bilbo, is a great camera and is very flexible in functions taking great pics. It scored very high on all the reviews and also has a fast lens at f2.8.:thumbsup::snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +7,491
                Thanks Armandii.....I definitely won't rush and I'll take your advice about handling them first to see how they feel. Then after choosing I'll see if there are any good deals online. :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
                  Ratings:
                  +6,654
                  Hi Fern, a word of warning about some online sellers, try and check their feedback first as I found that although some companies were saying they were UK based they were simply a mail depot sort of thing that held no stock and the cameras were being imported from abroad and then sent on to the buyer from there. A lot of feedback on these sort of companies suggested long delivery times despite quick delivery promises and poor customer service. The one I found through Ebay held stock in the UK, answered my queries via email within 12hrs and eventually delivered the camera once ordered within 2 days after also sending an email with tracking info :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +7,491
                    Thanks Bilbo. When I order something online, I want it NOW..lol. I don't fancy waiting forever for a new camera! :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      Let us all know how you get on, Fern,...........but don't rush, take your time looking for the right one!!:snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +7,491
                        Will do Armandii. :ThankYou: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1