campanula

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kaytutt, May 24, 2007.

1. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My daughter has a plant growing out of her dry stone wall... masses and masses of purple bell shaped flowers which I'm guessing are campanula?

I've pinched some [​IMG] and have it sat in a glass of water hoping it will root. How do I get it to grow out of my garden wall?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,633
    Kaytutt, I'm not fortunate enough to have a dry stone wall but I think if I did, I would try seed.
    Trying to establish a plant in such a place I guess is not easy, It can be done perhaps if you are rebuilding the wall but its difficult on an established wall.
    Nature would do it by seed, just give nature a helping hand. [​IMG]

3. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kaytutt, If it is Campanula and you have a small root you can put it straight into your garden, just remember to keep it moist. It loves to trail over walls as well. I have a large chunk and ive just dug a small piece up and planted it in another part of my garden, and its doing fine.

4. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks both.

The piece I have doesnt have a root but its still looking surprisingly healthy stood in a glass of water more than a week later so I'm hoping to see some roots soon.

I think I'll plant it in the border and let it trail over the retaining wall and hope it spreads into the walls from there