can bare root deutzia and hibiscus share 60 cm pot for one season?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by c3k, Feb 11, 2015.

1. c3k

c3k Company Slacker

Ratings:
    +37
    Not sure about root behaviour of these two.
    Also, is it ok to plant bare root into pots now, against sheltered wall, or still too cold? Thanks.

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    funny you should ask about bare root hibiscus as i was just looking at these

http://www.yougarden.com/item-p-500026/flow-har-hardy-shrubs/hardy-hibiscus-syriacus-mixed/

you garden says you can plant them now and now is the time that most bare root stuff is planted anyway as its dorment

personally i don't think i would plant them in the same pot as splitting them after might be a problem but also for me the first season of growth is to also establish a good root system and that could be hindered by them sharing a pot

i would just plant than in separate pots but someone else might have better advice as i have no grown either before lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      well its a big pot that you want to use , and I do grow both and both are hungry plants ans need space to grow.

You would need to use John inns no 3 and NOT multipurpose plus the weight of the soil makes the pot more stable I have found.

Sound as if you want a feature I would suggest give each there own pot and put them in the bigger one and in fill with bark , you just have to make sure you keep well watered , how big are the plants that you have ?

• c3k

c3k Company Slacker

Ratings:
      +37
      Thanks. They are less than a foot. Long roots on the deutzia and much thinner, shorter roots on hibiscus. Potted today, seperately!

• Like Like x 2