Can I cut jasmine a bit more?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bem, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Bem

Bem Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, bit of a question from a pruning novice!

I have a jasmine (well, someone knowledgable said it was!) and I read that they can be cut back quite a lot if overgrown, which this one was, so I cut it back to about 3-4ft from the ground last winter and it's still alive and sprouting new shoots:hapydancsmil:

only thing is I'm not sure I've been hard enough with it, as I may have wussed out when cutting back as the book I read said it can go down to 2ft, and now I'm wondering if I should cut again or if it'll be ok as just thinking it may end a bit straggly and bare around the main stem again? Any ideas?

Also on a different note, I also have a few 'wild' buddleia (I have no idea how to spell that!!) but have noticed the past week a couple have gone very wilty and quite a few leaves have gone yellow and fallen but everything else around them looks fine and the other buddleia look fine, honestly not bothered if they give up the ghost, but just curious what might cause it, what could cause the wilting?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
    Ratings:
    +489
    Hi Bem, See if you could post a picture of your Jasmine and Buddleia. It's probably the wet cool weather effecting the Bud and they do have a branching habit.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi Bem

As a general rule the common jasmine will survive just about anything. However, since you've already given yours a fair old chop, it is probably best to leave it for a while. See how the new shoots work out and then decide whether to give it a more brutal hair cut next season.

I don't know what's affecting your buddleja. It could be the wet which is causing the problem, as Robajobs says. In the wild, they seem to like growing on chalky wastelands and deserted concrete building sites, which suggests that they appreciate a very well drained soil.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    For the jasmine, I'd try to fasten the 4ft long original growth as close to the horizontal as possible, which will stimulate it to send up more shoots along their length.