Can I divide Sedum?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Juliet, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Juliet

Juliet Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large clump on one side of the path and wondered if I could divide it and put half opposite on the other side of the path?

Also if so is it O.K to do it now?

Thanks

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi juliet Ithink you need to wait untill it finish flowers, mine are only just starting to turn from green to pink. I USUALLY divide the clump in late oct. or early nov.or in early spring. [​IMG]

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Funnily enough , it depends on which Sedum it is. Any of the Sedum rosea tribe, now Rhodiola sp. are very difficult to divide. All of the others though are dead easy, but as Fancy says, best donoe out of flower.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I like to leave the ones with big flower heads until spring as they look so great all winter when frozen, as they are so late flowering I think they are better divided in Spring.

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the big flower heads in the winter provides the lady birds a resting place like a hotel. many a time I have seen them in the winter between the dried flower deads.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Juliet. I think sedum is a really tough plant and could probably be divided at any time. But as the others have said it is probably best after flowering in autumn, or in the spring.

However there is nothing to stop you taking some cuttings. I took some earlier this year and they are all doing well. It may or may not be the best time of year for cuttings, but they are very easy to do, and you only sacrifice a small part of the plant. You must remove all flowering parts of course, so that the cutting puts its energy into roots not flowers. Take 3 or 4 inch lengths, with at least two pairs of leaves. cut just below the bottom pair, and then remove the leaves. This leaf axil contains hormones that promote growth. Thus new leaves will grow from a leaf axil, but if its underground roots will grow instead. Keep both leaves from the upper axil if they are smallish, but just one if they are large.
    Put the cuttings in a pot filled with moist (but not wet - or it will rot) compost and cover in a polythene bag to hold the moisture in. Cut a couple of small ventilation slits/holes in the bag. Then wait. When you see new leaves growing from the upper axil your cutting is on its way.