Can I do anything with this plot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nickoslesteros, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I've got this border here, behind my swing (photo) and is in shade for most of the day. It's east facing, and under two Scots pine trees from next door.

Presently it's full of junk at the moment, but I'd like to put it to some use. In all the time I've lived here it has been bare. Plus side is that the soil is generally never dry in this spot, despite the well drained sandy soil. The only thing other than weeds that seems to be growing is Vinca (major/minor). Soil is on the acidic side of neutral. Because there is nothing here, I don't know where to start!

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Thought I'd bump this one with an added question. The fence is North-NE facing. Are there shrubs/hedging I could plant along it to help cover it, at least. Or big ferns?

3. AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,003
    @Nickoslesteros -
    I don’t have a north-east border but I do have shady areas so can recommend:

Ferns, Astilbes, Hostas, geraniums for low and mid cover and a viburnum for a large shrub. I think some beech would work if you want hedging. The great thing about beech is it holds its Autumn brown leaves through winter so makes a good dappled screen to a fence.
    Final idea is an Acer as it will like the shelter, the acid and the shade. No use as screening but might be a lovely feature and can be underplanted with woodland bulbs.

I’m sure others will have good ideas.

• Like Like x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,198
      I have loads of plants in that sort of aspect but - your soil may well be reasonably damp all the time because there's nothing growing there. Our soil doesn't dry out much here as it's clay, and the climate's damp even in summer. You'll have to bear in mind that once you have plants in there, especially shrubs, that could change considerably especially as the soil's sandy.

Lots of shrubs/plants are quite adaptable as far as moisture's concerned, as long as they're properly established, but it's important to make sure they're well watered until that point. If planting through summer, that's even more important for anything woody. :smile:

This is also why it's helpful to know your general location, and add it to your signature/avatar so that advice is appropriate. :smile:

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,638
      Before you do anything or start spending money on plants you need to have a good think about your current situation . I can see children's toys around the swing so how much child wear does the area get? It might be worth clearing the area, putting down weed membrane and topping with play bark until the time comes to remove the swing. It would look clear and tidy for the time being. It would not help family harmony if you put a lot of effort into planting up the border then constantly nag the children not to walk on the plants. Children do not understand the emotional and physical effort we grown ups invest in our gardening and there doesn't look as if there is much room for them to run around the swing when playing.
      If the children are no longer a factor to consider I would remove the swing and clutter and live with the space for a year to see how I would use the space and move around it before making any major decisions. Would it be a quiet sitting space, try putting a bistro table and chairs there, maybe a small paved patio area, do you prefer flowers, foliage, or veg.? Space for a rotary washing line? Even a piece of fencing and trellis to create a quiet corner away from the house.
      Exciting but not to be hurried.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,859
      I thought the same as @Goldenlily26 about the children's play area. Making it better for them with play bark is a good idea. Could a shed also be useful to store the children's toys and garden furniture?

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      Thanks all. The swing will definitely be staying because I only finished building it last week :)

That said, the photo is a bit misleading. There is a good six foot of border behind the swing, and the kids (no longer tiny) only ever approach the swing from the lawn side. They are quite respectful of the plantine because I make them help me!

I'm good for sheds, also.

Maybe s shrub or two and leave a bit of space. I'll avoid the bark as there is a family of foxes here and they seem to love nothing better than flinging my bark mulching everywhere!

• Like Like x 2
      • Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
        +109
        I wonder about blueberries?

• Like Like x 1
        • Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
          +53
          Oh. I have a little boy that loves blueberries. I'll look into it!

• Goldenlily26

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,638
          Hmmm. 6ft wide is barely wide enough to grow most shrubs if you allow for planting them at least 2ft away from the fence to allow for rain shadow. I assume you do not want to need to keep watering anything. Then you have to allow for the spread of the shrubs, they all bush out, some quite substantially. I do not know of any shrubs which only grow 2ft wide as you would need to plant them in the centre of the remaining 4ft. Possible sub shrubs like lavender.
          Have you thought about when your mini humans have grown and are into football, rugby and or cricket, when the swing no longer appeals and goals, wickets and balls are order of the day.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,198
          I'm sorry but -6 feet is plenty wide enough for all sorts of shrubs [Potentillas, Spireas etc] if you live in a cooler, damper area, where they won't readily dry out in that aspect -even with lighter soil, but I've no idea where @Nickoslesteros lives. That's the most important factor because the climate dictates a lot of growing conditions.
          Shrubs can be pruned too, and wouldn't necessarily need done every year, so can be pretty low maintenance. The blueberries could certainly be a good shout.
          The ones I mentioned would also stand up to plenty of abuse from youngsters with footballs etc, and they aren't fussy as to soil types. There are other shrubs which would be the same :smile:

• Goldenlily26

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,638
        • Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
          +53
          @fairygirl NW England, coastal Wirral (2-3 hundred metres from coast)

Only other thing to bear in mind is it doesn't get a lot of sun.

• Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,745
          Sarcococca confusa (sweet box) and other types are quite slow growing.