Can I hard prune my privet hedge in June?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Highspinner, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Highspinner

Highspinner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to tackle a really overgrown privet hedge. I think the original hedge was two feet wide and five feet tall. It is now up to eight feet wide and twelve feet tall, overhangs the pavement by at least two feet. Total length on three sides of the garden is about 80 feet

I want to hard prune the outside first cutting it back by at least two feet. I'm planning to leave the inside for the time being (just a trim) to keep the privacy.

I know it's later than the optimum time for such a cutback, but can I do it now (late June)? I know it will take at least a year to recover. And yes I will fertilize after the pruning.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
    If you haven't had any rain (like us) then I would suggest holding off until you do get some so as not to stress it too much. Otherwise it should be OK - with one caveat - you need to check that there are no occupied bird nests in it. It is against the Wildlife and Countryside Act to cut a hedge if there are active birds living in it.

• Agree Agree x 1