Can I lay a new lawn directly over an existing one..

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by BlueMango, Jul 25, 2015.

1. BlueMango

BlueMango Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I am considering re-turfing my lawn. Instead of digging up the entire lawn, what if I cover the existing lawn with new compost, level it and then turf over the raised surface still with the old grass underneath it? Anyone tried that? I'm thinking this will be a quicker way and will help raise the level of the lawn, which has sunk a little over the years. The old grass should die down and decompose into the soil, shouldn't it? Can anyone think of any good reasons why I mustn't do it this way?
    I ask because the general advice has always been to dig up the existing grass and start afresh, which is rather labour intensive. Please help...

2. BlueMango

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking I should've used the following subject title as that would've made it more specific - "Can I lay a new lawn directly over an existing one..." but I couldn't figure how to edit the subject title.

Also, my soil is clay if that makes a difference.

3. BlueMango

Ratings:
    +4
    I was just wondering, could I raise the level of my existing lawn by gradually spreading a thicker layer of soil over the grass and raking it in? My lawn is in a fairly good state but is a good 20+ years old and has sunk down a bit over the years below the level of my concrete patio... I'm trying to find ways of raising the level of the lawn to one higher than the patio. Other ways I have considered was putting a level of soil directly over the current existing lawn and seeding the new soil to create a new lawn over the existing one...

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/re-turfing-a-lawn.100712/

Comments on both techniques greatly appreciated...

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning :)

Don't see why you cant, but i'd put some fork holes in the existing first, to help with drainage:)

I'll combine the threads in a mo :)

5. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,984
    Don't forget to dig up any Dandelion/weeds etc as they may come through the new turf

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
      +516
      I certainly hope so @BlueMango as that's what I'll be doing in my front and back gardens. I'm also on clay. A few years ago I had the gardens cleared with a mini digger as they were absolutely beyond being cleared by hand. The digger cleared c. 6" of top soil and left the ground sunken below path and patio height. Since then, grass and some brambles/weeds have returned in force, though still at that lower height. I'll be strimming it all as low to the ground as possible, then removing brambles and weeds below the soil level, adding top soil to regain the missing 6" of height and laying turf over that. Fingers crossed we both get reasonable results!

• BlueMango

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks Zigs, Jiffy and Anzia. I will let you know how I get on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,887
        You can try it the easy way BlueMango but you could find yourself with a flooded garden every winter. Your present lawn and clay soil will have become compacted over the years and drainage will not be at it's best. Grass roots only grow to four or five inches deep and with the method you want to use they will not grow into the old lawn, creating a table top situation with one lawn sitting on the other and a situation where it could flood.

To be honest if you want a decent lawn it will take some heavy work to get it that way. You can by all means dig up the existing turf and turn it over until it's dead, then dig it back into your soil. This will also allow you the chance to dig over the soil underneath relieving the compaction, allowing better drainage and air in for the new grass roots.

If you cheat when laying a new lawn it tends to throw up all sorts of future problems, sorry!

• BlueMango

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks Sheal. Mmmm, food for thought...

• Friendly Friendly x 1