Can I save 'too sticky' compost?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by aboylikedave, Sep 4, 2011.

1. aboylikedave

aboylikedave Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just made a bin of compost and made several mistakes! Firstly I used only household vegetable waste and secondly it frequently got waterlogged. Consequently it spent much of its life under anaerobic conditions, smelly with lots of larvae.

However when I realised what had happened I went out and gave it a good turning to let in oxygen every day until all the nastiness went and it turned into a lovely dark colour and smells fine.

The problem is that it is very sticky - if a grab a handful and squeeze it stays it a ball (clay like behaviour) which is pretty much the opposite of what compost is meant to do!.

Does anyone have any advice on why it is like this and whether it can be saved?

Thanks

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'd say it just got too wet in the making - next time, try to put a layer of 'greens' then a layer of 'browns'. 'Greens' are the veggie waste, plant material, grass clippings etc., 'browns' are things like torn up egg boxes, ripped up newspaper, the tubes from kitchen and loo roll, bits of used kitchen roll (all mine goes on the compost), torn up cardboard, egg shells, the spent compost from pots or containers etc. If you can, put these things in in layers of roughly 4" or so, leave it for a bit to 'get started' then turn the heap occasionally things will get a lot better. If you can't physically turn your heap, then I use an old broom handle and give mine a 'stir' occasionally, which works just as well. You do need to keep an eye on them, because they do need some water - the decomposing process won't work properly if they get too dry, but, as in cooking, it's a lot easier to add water than it is to remove it. You don't have to be too paranoid about 4" of this or that, just a rough 50/50 mix overall and a good occasional stir.

Your compost can be saved - I remember my first lot, it set like concrete and stank to high heaven! Since yours is clearly a lot better than that, I'd still use it just as you would if it wasn't quite so wet - once dug into the ground that moisture will soon leach out into the soil. If you've the facilities, I'd probably create a second heap putting half of what you've got into each and adding some torn up newspaper or some spent compost from pots etc., or you could just put some in your existing heap (to help soak up the 'liquid').

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    No probs - just mix in some shredded paper and/or shredded wood. As mentioned, it's too 'green'