Can I sow green manure now ?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by WillieBee, Aug 29, 2014.

1. WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    This has been my first year with an allotment and although I have had some nice vegetables, I did make mistakes so hope for a better return next year.

Is it worth sowing some green manure seeds now and if so, which would be the best option.

thanks !

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Alfalfa, Yellow Mustard, & Clover for a start :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I likes Mustard as you can eat it as well :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
      • WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
        +36
        I've just returned from my local allotment shop, where they sell Kings seeds fat half price.

They only had one packet each of 'Phacelia Tanacetefolia' and 'Winter Tares' so I bought those for now. They are getting more in in a few days time.

They had many packs of Rye Grazing, so I can only assume that isn't very popular with the locals.

I thought about field beans too, but decided to ask if they still sell Aquadulce broad beans loosely, which I bought last year, just after getting my lottie. They had a sack of old seeds, so I bought a quarter of the sack for 50p. I'm sure I can just sow these, then cut off the tops in the spring. Of course, maybe old broad bean seeds will not germinate, but for 50p .... worth a punt (a popular expression on Dragons' Den)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Are they decent sized packets? Often Green Manure is sold in small packets, similar in size to regular pea and bean packets, and it just isn't enough to cover any decent sized area and works out expensive.

Suggest you compare prices with a bulk-seller like Moles Seeds
        http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/flower_and_vegetable_seed_store_uk/Products_Green_Manure_3617.html

Their Winter Mix (Crimson Clover, Broad Leaf Red Clover and White Tilney Mustard) needs sowing at 3 gm/sq.m. and costs £11.35/kg which I make 3.41P/sq.m.

Can't argue with £2-a-sack for Beans though :)

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        This is what I use, both the product and the supplier http://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/green-manure/winter-green-manure.html

It will draw up and hold nutrients over winter, protecting winter wash out in heavy rain, it produces masses of foliage, can be cut or strimmed several times and sown at any time of the year.

I sowed some of this early in the year, let it grow then dug some in where I was to plant my pumpkins in these hoop houses, the green manure grew back up again to two feet a couple of times before it was finally dug into the plot, to feed the now growing pumpkins.

[​IMG]

And here is the same patch in the middle of June, it's ready for another cut!

[​IMG]

Steve...:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
      • MrJ

MrJ Gardener

Web / Graphic Designer
        Ratings:
        +25
        Sorry to bump up an oldish post- but came on to chat about this very subject this eve! Had to cut down my mustard already - it started to flower. I had been expecting it to overwinter to some degree!

I was wondering how other people have fared with winter rye grass - I've sowed a test patch, but have had a very low germination rate. Literally about 20 seedlings per sq metre?! I scatted and raked in a few handfuls of seeds about a week and a half ago and still nothing.

Is this typical, or are the birds getting to them? We have very clay soil so thought rye would be ideal to break it up a bit.