can I still start seeds of in pots inside

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by newbiegrower, Apr 23, 2007.

1. newbiegrower

newbiegrower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just asking as we have just acquired an allotment but it is just turf at the moment so it is going to take quite a few hours to get some of it dug well enough to start putting plants in. So I was just wondering if there are any seeds I can still start of growing indoors in pots as we live in a flat and then plant out in maybe couple of months time when the ground has been dug well enough

Hannah

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Hannah, what type of thing are you thinking about? root crops wont really do well in pots, cabbages and the like will need potting on and will take up a fair amount of space, peas and beans could be alright but after a while they tend to get overgrown and untidy. My advice would be, not worry too much about the plants but concentrate on getting the ground ready. you can always plant as you are going along. David.

3. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can plant direct into the ground upto end of May when it is warmer.

Tomatoes can be started now with your basil and french marigolds (if you are companion planting). I have just planted some cauliflower seeds. You can start leeks now. Outdoor cucumbers, lettuces.

You can plant potatoes late and get away with it, but they may be prone to blight.

You can grow onion sets now in containers as well. I grow carrots in deep containers, and I am experimenting with salsify this year (in a container).

Do not try to transplant any root crops, it rarely works (however i have had some success with swede and turnip).

Beans and peas can be started in toilet roll tubes, so you don't disturb the roots when you transplant.

Best of all - seed is really cheap - experiment and enjoy!

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Hannah,

I'm still seed planting, there's plenty of time left yet!

5. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Look on the back of the seed packet, it will tell you when you can plant.
    Remember this is only a guide as it does not take into account regional variations.

6. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont even consider digging over the whole of your plot if you cant fill it with veg this year. Concentrate on a small area at a time and get as much of what is left covered.
    Start digging the rest over in August time once the ground is easier to dig and you can prepare it with manure etc.
    And remember, take your time, its not a race and your supposed to be enjoying yourself.

7. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll second that azadaman. Best get a small area beefed up with well rotted stuff. I have just dug in the contents of one of my composters. Good stuff! [​IMG]