can someone help me please!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by arpiriki, Oct 18, 2010.

1. arpiriki

arpiriki Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

i am a new member and i must confess that my gardening skills are real basic. that's why i have a problem and I'm hoping to find some suggestions here.

we have in front of our rented house an evergreen tree (i think that what it is) but for the past 2 weeks some of it's branches have started to get yellow and now brown with the needles falling off. i haven't interacted neither with the soil or with the tree it self in any way so this happening now is even more strange. the only thing that I've done about 3 months ago was while i was trying to get rid of the weed from the grass in front of the trees I've made a solution with some powder for killing weeds that I've found in the owners shed but I've only managed to get about six patches of burnt grass. so I'm wondering if that has affected the soil or the roots of the tree, and if yes why did it took so long to see the effects? the surface where I've applied the solution was about ft away from the tree and the other small trees around it seem to be fine.
    i hope that some of you will find the right guidance for me and therefore i am thanking you in advance.
    also, please find some photos for some better illustration of what I've said. if more needed I'll take some more shots.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Arpiriki and welcome.
    I'm sorry I can't really help you. All I can tell you is that the tree is a blue spruce and those brown bits won't recover, but I don't know what has caused the problem.

The tree looks multi stemmed in the pics with the all the problem on one stem.
    It may be that, with the owners permission, the tree could be salvaged if that stem was removed.

Wait and see what others have to say. I think there's some tree experts on here.
    Good luck with it.

3. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446

What's your location and therefore are your soil conditions predominantly wet/predominantly dry/in between?

Can you tell us which powder was used to make the solution?

Can you see any sap on the affected branches?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Its difficult say without knowing what concoction you used around the base of the tree, but I think if it was a root problem the whole tree would go brown at the same time, not just odd branches.

I'm trying to work out if this is one, or two trees planted close together, might even be a single tree with two stems.

Are all the dead bits originating from the same stem?

It looks like some kind of Fir (Abies) to me.:)

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Looking again I'm convinced its two different trees, one may well be a blue spruce as Alice says but the green one looks like a Fir.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Looks like we need to see some pics to see if this is more than one tree or a multi branched tree.
    Can you do that ?

7. arpiriki

arpiriki Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,
    thanks for all of your replies so far. i can confirm that there is only one root from which it seems to split into three(see attached photos). also the affected branches are appearing on all three of them. as for the powder used for the solution I'm afraid that that one was the last sachet of it and unfortunately i don't have either the packaging nor remember the name. from all i can remember was a black and white sachet, but on the sea of products meant for killing the weeds i doubt it that is any useful this.
    the area were i live is bramham, wetherby, west Yorkshire and i can say that there is a lot of humidity here so the soil will be most of the time wet. as for which type of soil is it i don't have a clue about it(sorry). if there is any other info i can supply please let me know.
    thanks once again

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Well it looks a bit of a congested mess at the base.

Just wondering if the green parts are rootstock growth.

Seems to have two different types of bark low down, and green and blue colouration in the top growth.

9. OrganicPlums

OrganicPlums Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly looks like an Abies as Pete said. If it was me I would remove the dead branches, maybe even take a bit down to your local garden centre and see if anyone there knows anything or can help.

Are there any fungi at the base, ie; honey fungus?