can someone ident my tree for me???

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by richy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. richy

richy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone plesae confirm the identlty of a tree for me. I have attatched a photo. My appologies for the quality of it. I was wondering if it is some sort of willow (maybe purple). The bark is smooth without any distiguishing marks. It is still very much in leaf.
    Any suggestions would be welcomed
    Thanks
    Richy

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Richy, a pic of the tree itself would help & maybe a close up of the bark.. Is it a big tree, because there are several Willows... ???

3. richy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marley Farley
    thanks for your reply. Stupidly I didn't take a picture of the tree as I thought initally that I knew what it was. A Bay Willow. I now am certain that it is not this.
    The height of it is approximately 3-4m with a dbh of around 30-40cms.
    It is really close to the neighbours house and my clients were told to keep hard pruning the top so that it would focus more attention on top growth rather than root growth. Don't know if this is a load of nonsense or not. We want to remove the tree but they have been told this may lead to subsidence of the neighbours house once the roots start to rot. ?????????

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,123
    I must say the pic is not a lot to go on.
    Its difficult to acertain whether is a stem with opposite leaves or a pinnate leaf stalk.

If its likely that the house will subside if the roots rot, surely it would be better removed rather than left, because things will only get worse.

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well there are allot of Willows, & they all need to be pruned if in built up areas as they are not suitable in small gardens really...
    OK, Richy I think it might be a White willow - Salix alba... These can grow very big if not kept in check.... If you are worried about damage to neighbouring property I can understand that.. I would get in touch with a local tree surgeon who does free quotations & get their professional advice before you do anything drastic...:thmb:

6. richy

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Pete. The problem I have is that a Surveyor told them the roots could cause damage (10 YEARS AGO!!!) However a tree surgeon told them it would be fine.
    So they are worrying about it. I have been doing a bit more searching on the web and have come across a salix osier. The leaf looks strikingly similar. The good news is that they have accepted my quote for all the other work. So I'll be back there tomorrow to iron out a few details and take some pictures of the tree.
    I'm a hard landscaper and certainly no tree surgeon but I'm pretty sure it isn't a salix alba because the leaf is compound and not alternate. Anyway a massive thanks to you both for your speedy replies. I'll post some better pictures on tomorrow.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,123
    I wasn't aware that any willow had compound leaves.

But surely the main problem is not to ID the tree but decide if its OK to remove it.

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Aren't the leaves a bit to glossy/waxy for Willow?

9. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If the picture was taken recently then its an evergreen and therefore not a willow as far as I know.

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    So Richy..... Iif you have had a surveyor & a tree surgeon in they must know what sort of tree they are talking about, else how would they know what to advise..... :scratch:
    Any tree surgeon worth his salt would know exactly what tree it was when he was looking at it...... :scratch:

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596

Not necessarily. We're having fairly mild weather so far, unusually so for this time of year. Around here many trees still have a lot of their leaves.

I still don't think it's willow though. The leaves look far more glossy/waxy than any willow I've seen.

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,493
    Obviously the way to go is to do as Marley has said and get a free report and quote.

What puzzles me a bit is the information you have given. You say it is about 3-4 m high and a surveyor warned about the problem 10 yrs ago. So the tree is over 10 yrs old. 3-4 m high seems rather short for a willow at least that age. If it is a slow growing willow variety then removing it now would almost certainly not be a problem. If it is a 'normal' fast growing willow then it is young enough not to cause problems at this stage and can be removed.

Hard pruning the top does make it concentrate more on its top growth than its roots but doesn't solve the problem.

If it is a willow I think it should be removed as soon as possible.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Do you think it could be a Eucalyptus of some kind..??:scratch:

14. richy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I have some decent pictures of the mystery tree.
    A mate of mine seems to think it may be a PTEROCARYA fraxinifolia or wing nut tree. But he was looking at the snaps via the lcd screen on the back of my camera.

As for the tree surgeon and surveyor. It was my client that dealt with these people at some point between now and 15 years ago. I (perhaps foolishly) was quite prepared to remove the tree and didn't think of any potential consequences of this action.

Having spoken to them again. I now am a little concerned that they want something in writing to say that removing it would not cause damage. I, as someone stated in an earlier post, think it needs to come out. Who would plant a tree that close to a building??? However I think I will let my clients arrange this with the relevant people.
    For my own curiosity would love confirm the species.
    Thanks again for all your replies.
    Richy

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,123
    Looks like Ailanthus to me, or just possibly Black walnut, but thats not likely.

Either way its far to near the house and needs to go.