Can somone advise on whether this hedge is dead or not please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Richard Norman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Richard Norman

Richard Norman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have just moved into a new house, one edge of the courtyard which borders onto a farmyard...has some sort of conifer hedge running along it.

Parts of it are fine showing new season growth, but large parts of it appear dead, with just the odd bit of new growth at the very bottom.

Can someone advise what caused this and if in fact the hedge is dead?

Thank you.

frenchman

I tried to add an image of the hedge without any luck...you can see it here at this link.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/hedge/hedge.htm

[​IMG]

[ April 15, 2005, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Richard Norman ]

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience, conifers that have been cut back hard into the "brown" centre of the tree do not generate new growth in that area,unlike box and privett etc, remaining brown and dead looking. New growth should appear at the top. I'm no expert but I would say they have been cut back too hard and are unlikely to generate new growth in those areas....but I am ready to be advised differently.
    Bon chance.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was mine - I would take it out and restart - and perhaps consider different hedging plants to get what you want in the way of a border.