Can straw go in a composter

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Mrs Bobs, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Mrs Bobs

Mrs Bobs Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a box of strawberry plants delivered from an organic company in Devon or Cornwall (can't remember which) and they were packed in straw. I was just wondering on the subject title really. I don't need it to put under the strawberries themselves as I'm growing them in a tower.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  3. Mrs Bobs

Mrs Bobs Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Make sure you mix it with plenty of green stuff and it is damp. It would be ideal to mix with lawn mowings that go all soggy and horrible when composted on their own.

5. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  6. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mrs Bobs,

Basic rule of thumb for compost....if it isn't metal, glass or plastic (i.e. man made) then it can go in. Obviously somethings take longer to rot down than others and a good mix is always best. Even old cotton clothing and egg shells will rot down eventually.

7. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would avoid putting in things like roots of couch grass, convolvulous or similar weeds, also ripe seed heads, some seeds never seem to rot down, poppies, allyssum, tomatoes for example.
    Tomato seeds even survive the human digestive system and the sewage treatment works.