Can these apple trees be turned into espalier?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by rustyroots, Jun 12, 2016.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

I have inherited these trees from previous owners, and would like to make them into espalier.

image.jpg
    My plan is to bolt a wooden fence post at about 6-8ft height to the 4 concrete posts holding the last three panels then put the necessary bolts/eyes and run wires (3 or 4 of) and tie in. Could I still do this with these trees or are they to established? I presume that I would need to cut off the branches that I do not want and cut the leader? When would be the best time to do this?
    The one on the left is encroaching into the garden and the kids keep running into it.

Rusty

2. burnie

burnie Total Gardener

Retired engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,262
    Traditionally you would use a "maiden tree" for any of this type of training, however you have nothing to loose and the trees look relatively young, so it may well work. The pruning is normally done when the sap is not rising, but due to their height, I might be tempted to take out the main stem to the height of the fence and remove all the fruit. The tree will then throw out new growth and you can then prune in the autumn to get the desired shape and size you want.

• Informative Informative x 1